cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure of my FTTP options

Sinxsinx

Unsure of my FTTP options

Hi there,

I recently bought a flat and moved away from home. It's a new build flat and has FTTP pre-installed (with openreach modem).

We have used plusnet for many years at our family home and I had assumed I could start my own plusnet contract when I moved out.

However, upon moving in, I have found out that my block/development is a FTTP only building, so I'm unable to start a regular fibre contract with plusnet. (At least that's what the post code availability checker says.)

As I cannot become a regular customer, does this now preclude me from ever getting plusnet FTTP until they bring it out of trial phase? It seems ludicrous that BT is allowed to have a monopoly on an entire block of flats (not quite a monopoly but a greatly reduced FTTP ISP choice...).

Is there anything I can do to become a plusnet customer, without taking out a broadband/fibre broadband contract, as apparently these are not available to me.

Any advice welcome and thank you in advance.

James
2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Unsure of my FTTP options

Hi James, thanks for your interest in Plusnet and welcome back.

However, upon moving in, I have found out that my block/development is a FTTP only building, so I'm unable to start a regular fibre contract with plusnet. (At least that's what the post code availability checker says.)

If that's the case and if there's no copper availability [ADSL/FTTC], we can't sign you up as FTTP is indeed only available to existing customers at the moment I'm afraid.

Are there any ADSL or VDSL products available when you type in your full address at www.dslchecker.bt.com?

As I cannot become a regular customer, does this now preclude me from ever getting plusnet FTTP until they bring it out of trial phase?

It does unfortunately look that way. Sad

It seems ludicrous that BT is allowed to have a monopoly on an entire block of flats (not quite a monopoly but a greatly reduced FTTP ISP choice...).

I think it'd be down to the property developers and the agreements they've made with the broadband suppliers.

Is there anything I can do to become a plusnet customer, without taking out a broadband/fibre broadband contract, as apparently these are not available to me.

We're providing mobile SIM only deals now: https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

Whilst this option won't get you any closer to having an FTTP service through us, you'd be a customer of Plusnet.

Sorry any disappointment caused.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Unsure of my FTTP options

Currently OpenReach list 4 providers of a residential FTTP product. Hopefully in time this will increase and may even include PlusNet!!! 

Like ADSL & FTTC you have the choice of moving at the end of any contract.

Brian