cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre to Full Fibre

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Unlimited Fibre to Full Fibre

I presently have Unlimited Fibre 37 - 40Mb, fibre to the box down the street, then copper along the poles, which comes into my loft, where it terminates and the router plugs in, in my loft. From the loft, it serves to other routers, with filtered phone lines down to various sockets in the house - so all basically centred on the loft socket. One of the sockets, on the first floor, is used to plug in my wireless phone base station, with four other wireless phones using that base.

My present contract ends in July, but is offering me Full Fibre 74, for a little less than I am presently paying, but what are the practicalities of accepting the Full Fibre offer?.

A few years ago, one of the cable companies installed points at the end of every drive. Would Plusnet use that point?

How would the Full Fibre be brought into the house - it would really need to go up to the loft, but for aesthetic reasons would not want cables draped up the outside of the house wall?

How would my existing wireless (DECT) phones connect to Full Fibre?

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Unlimited Fibre to Full Fibre

@harrym1byt 

The first question is - is OpenRrach Fibre available. Check

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column. Further down in the narrative it should state if any install problems are expected.

Brian

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 75.9 55 18.3 12 49 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 73.6 49 17.7 10.4 39.6 Available Available --

It suggests - OH feed, no anticipated problems..

What does that suggest, please?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

VDSL is for your existing FTTC service.

As pointed out by @bmc , do you see a section for WBC FTTP  to confirm Full Fibre is available ?

0wbcfttp.jpg

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bmc
Hero

@harrym1byt 

As WBC FTTP isn't showing then OR Fibre isn't available. If one of the Alternative suppliers has installed in your area then to get faster speeds you would need to move to them.

I don't know why PN said "Full Fibre" - only FTTC is available. This comes in two speeds, 40/10 & 80/20. Up grading your connection would have no impact on your setup.

Brian

harrym1byt
Rising Star

So @bmc - are you saying that I could accept Plusnets offer of the upgrade, and still keep the hardware as it is here?

I don't want, or need faster speeds, what I have is more than adequate, it's just that the offer is cheaper than what I presently pay.

bmc
Hero

@harrym1byt 

The product change would be simply a software change at the PN end with no impact at your end (other than the speed).

What you should look at is the end of contract price which is what you'd pay if no new offers are available at that time.

As you're happy with your speeds I would give the PlusNet Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 and see what deal they'll offer at your current speed.

Brian

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@harrym1byt if you took Plusnet's offer of full fibre you would lose your phone line, that's probably why it's cheaper.

@bmc have a read at the first post where Full Fibre 74 is being offered, the screen shot is obviously missing a lot.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@harrym1byt  You haven't shown the full checker result with the WBC FTTP line. however the text you quoted ... " OH (overhead) feed, no anticipated problems" does suggest that FTTP (Full fibre) is available.

You need to be aware that there is no phone service with Plusnet Full Fibre, you will lose your phone number. If you want a phone service you need to get a VOIP service, which Plusnet don't supply. it may be possible to connect a VOIP adapter to your existing phone extensions but would require some wiring skills and planning.

Also Openreach very rarely install full fibre into a loft, there is usually a junction box (CSP) on an external wall which has to be near ground level to allow the fibre splicing equipment to be used. This generally means cable on the outside walls if the fibre is coming from a pole.