Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwhelming FTTP switch from FTTC

FIXED
Nimos
Hooked

Underwhelming FTTP switch from FTTC

Hi,

I went live yesterday with FTTP Full Fibre 500 upgrading from Unlimited Fibre Extra (64 - 72Mbps). Using Plusnet Hub Two shipped to me.

I read that it can take 14 days to settle and you need to power cycle the router each morning (done this morning), but what should I expect in the first few days?

I'm getting 65ish down and 56ish up. The openreach engineer was getting mixed results on tests where it occassionally showed 500 down and 75 up but I'm not getting close.

I'm also finding requests take a long time to transact (clicking web links) but fast to download when they respond.

My Products page on plusnet dashboard is still showing my old product also.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

S.

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Underwhelming FTTP switch from FTTC

I read that it can take 14 days to settle 

there is no training period on FTTP

My Products page on plusnet dashboard is still showing my old product also.

that's not right. Sounds like your product change hasn't completed, that may be why your speed is not right, especially if you have a static IP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Nimos 

You don't need to power re-cycle your router wach day - just leave it on.

Brian

Nimos
Hooked

Should it have changed when it went live or have lag? Less than 24 hours since switch.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

The account change should normally happen by the end of the day of install.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Nimos 

It should change automatically I believe but PN systems have been known to fail on this.

You either need to wait for a staff bod to pick up on this thread or phone support.

Brian

Nimos
Hooked

I've just had PN support sort it for me. My product hadn't changed because the Openreach engineer visit had been brought forward from the 15th Dec and something didn't work on the automated switch.

Seems to be a bit quicker now and said it should speed up over the next hour. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 98

Hey there @Nimos just checking to see everything is still working smoothly for you? Let me know either way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Nimos
Hooked

Partially resolved. My product listing on the portal is now correct but the speed down is still significantly lower than 500 at 92Mbps. Upload is fine at 73Mbps. Am testing on LAN connection with a fast PC.THe other issue is I am getting streaming time-outs intermittently.

S.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

The first thing I'd check is the ethernet cables between the ONT and router, and router and machine you're testing on (and any others between).  They would need to be at least CAT5e.  I've heard of some cheap CAT5e cables not working to standard either though.

Next I'd check that the ethernet ports your using are actually running at 1Gb rather than 100Mb.

Nimos
Hooked

Looks like it was a network cable issue. Just plugged in using a cable from the router box and have got 425 Mbps down. 🙂

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 98

Fix

Awesome glad it's resolved @Nimos do you need anything else from me?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team