Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for an update

hulls
Grafter

Time for an update

Hi
I've now been on the FTTC trial for a while, and thought maybe I should supply some more feedback.
The last time I turned the modem and router off and on again was about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Over all, since joining the trial, I've carried on pretty much as I had before.  No obvious problems that I've noticed.  My download has doubled over the last couple of months, but I believe most of that is because I have one son home from uni who has been watching a lot of Catchup TV. BBC IPlayer and so on, and a second son who has just started up with a girl who lives 50 miles away (don't ask!), so Skype is the order of the day (much better than running up my phone bill) I've also started to use Spotify a little (although my son at uni uses it quite a bit)
I've used VPN a number of times with no problems, and with School holidays, sons are at home more during the day (BBC IPLayer etc).  The connection appears to be rock solid, although when I do speed checks, they seem to vary a lot.  (I only do them, when the boys are out, and I am the only person on line)
I'm pretty sure that at least part of the reason is the methods of connection (I try home plug, then unplug that and try again using wifi, then compare like with like)  I know that my best speeds will obviously be when I have a direct connection, but with my desktop, I don't often have the opportunity to test that.
So in short, I'm ecstatic  Grin
If there's anything else that PN would like me to try with the connection, tests or checks etc, I'd be happy to try it
John
4 REPLIES 4
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Time for an update

I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you! Wireless-G equipment lacks the throughput required for a 25Mbps+ FTTC / FTTP connection and -N spec equipment or ethernet is really needed. In addition, many speed test sites will be unable to cope with your download potential and so will produce artificially low results. I tested from Plusnet Towers to four different servers and achieved vastly different results. I can't find the post at the moment but will post back if I do.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Ben - I've been trialling one of the N routers. Unfortunately, it won't stay connected for more than an hour without needing to be turned off and on again.  I'm hoping Dave will come up with a fix for it soon.
John
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've got 2 Thomson routers flashed and ready to go (-G only) if you'd like one to try?
hulls
Grafter

Hi Ben - the g router seems fine.( I was originally issued with the 585v7)  The 585vn  (labelled "technicolor") is the one that hangs regularly).
Like I said, I'm hoping Dave (or someone) will be able to send me the flash file to get it to work better. I don't mind having a play around (under instruction)
John