cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Gateway 585v7

gnelmes
Grafter

Thomson Gateway 585v7

I have a FTTC connection but am using this router.  as I have a mailserver, webserver and ftp server this router is a real pain to configure. Can anyone suggest an alternative router please?  If you get a chance to get the Thomnson - don't bother.
9 REPLIES 9
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Thomson Gateway 585v7

Looks pretty easy to me...
Go into Home > Toolbox > Game & Application Sharing
Then Configure, select game or application from the drop down - FTP Server, HTTP Server & SMTP Server are all there and just point them to device you wish to host the service...
If you want to use non-standard ports just define a new game or application.
Simples...
gnelmes
Grafter

Thank you - If yousearch the intetnet you will see that this is a common problem with the Thomson Gateway. It looks straightforward but it doesn't work. I have managed to setup a webserver and mail server bt following the instruction above does not work.  The port is not blockedby Plusnet. They hav confirmed this and the firewall settings reflect this.
knowdice
Rising Star

Will let you know on Monday when my FTTC goes in as I need to do the same thing.
gnelmes
Grafter

Yes it will be good to share ideas.  I am not new to doing this - all I trying to do is replicate what I had on my previous router.  Webserver OK, Mailserver OK
The router come configured as IP 192.168.1.254 and I needed to make it 192.168.1.1. You would think that was easy but the only way I could do it was to save the config file, edit it, and upload the changes back to the router.
I wish you well - lett me know.
puffin
Grafter

Don't take this the wrong way (the Thomson web interface is a mess), but if you had to go to those lengths just to change the router IP I suspect the problem lies with you rather than the router.
You can set the router's IP by going Home Network -> Interfaces -> Local Network -> Configure (Hidden in the top right of the page).
To set the port forwarding to your servers go to Home Network -> Devices -> <Click on the Device> -> Configure.  Then just choose the services that should be forwarded to that machine in the drop down, click Add then Apply when you are done. 
I just checked this process on my machine for SMTP and HTTP and it worked correctly and took less than 30 secs to do.
gnelmes
Grafter

Thank you for your reply and , indeed, it all looks very simple and those are exactly the routes I took on several occasions.  However they didn't work - hence my message here
However port forwarding worked only for mail serving and webserving which, as you found, is straightforward. Have you actually managed to forward for FTP?  I would be interested to hear how you did it?
Thank you for suggesting it s my fault however if you search on Google you will find that many have experienced just the same problems.  What I really need is suggestions for an alternative router.
Another problem with the Thomson is that one of the ports has to be used for the broadband leaving you with only 3 ports to use.
puffin
Grafter

You're right, I didn't try ftp at the time as I didn't have an ftp server installed - I do now.  The web interface does not work on its own. you need to telnet into the router then use the command
nat maplist intf=Internet
This will give you a list of all the static nat mappings in the device.  You need to find the one that is mapping your outside interface port 21 to a non-existent or incorrect inside interface port 21 (e.g mine was 3 NAPT Internet        [static ip snipped]:21              192.168.1.253:21)
Then simply issue
nat mapdelete intf=Internet index=<index of the ftp mapping from the first command>
saveall
And PRESTO! Port forwarded ftp.
gnelmes
Grafter

Thanks I will try this when I get home. 
However this really isn't what a home user should have to do to port forward!!!! Moreover it isn't documented any where in the accompanying user manual.
gnelmes
Grafter

Thanks this did work. Other readers please note that the router is pre-configured with FTP to forward to 192.168.1.253.  This is fine if that is where your FTP server is. Even if you set up another "setting" it will default to 253 and therefore will not work.  What a performance to foward a port!!!!
You would then have to follow the instructions above. I still would like suggestions for other routers in anyone has them