cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson 585v7 and 585v8 issues

ptreadwell

Thomson 585v7 and 585v8 issues

I've been on the FTTC trial for a few months now, and have had repeated router lock-up issues on my Thomson 585v7.  The internet connection would stop, and I'd be unable to reach the gateway page via 192.168.1.254.  I'd restart the router and BT Openreach modem, and nearly every time I'd have to restart the router a second time to get it to connect - I'd always get the notorious "concentrator not reachable" message until the second reboot.  I reported this to Plusnet, and they sent me a new Thomson 585v8 router.  Unfortunately they sent me a router configured for ADSL and not for FTTC as I'd asked.  Despite complaining about this and being told the problem was escalated, it seems Plusnet have forgotten all about me as I've never had a response!
Anyway,  I've persisted with the 585v7 and its irritating problems - until yesterday that is.  My router started cycling through wireless on and off every couple of minutes making browsing impossible.  In investigating this I realised I could export the config from the 585v7.  I then loaded this config onto the 585v8 and connected this up to the BT modem, and it seemed to work much better immediately.  My connection to my desktop seemed much faster (better signal strength, and reported 54Mbps connection where previously the signal would vary considerably and I'd be lucky to get 11Mbps).  Finally I've solved my problems I thought!  My connection was fine for the rest of the day, but this morning the router had locked up, so again I had to reboot the modem and router.  Again, after reboot, I had the dreaded "concentrator not reachable" message.  This time though I just unplugged the ethernet cable from the modem and on plugging it back in again the router connected immediately.
It seems I have two issues:
1) The Thomson routers aren't very stable.
2) The Thomson routers aren't very good at sync-ing with the BT Openreach modem.
Is there a router available from Plusnet that is actually stable and syncs properly please?