Did you mean: 

Thinking of Trialing Fibre - Extension Cable

jbatt
Grafter

Thinking of Trialing Fibre - Extension Cable

Hi
This is my setup
Main phone line comes in to the house.
A cat5 cable has an RJ11 on each end and goes from the main phone socket to my Broadband router.
If I go on a fibre trial, I understand
- A new master socket will be installed
- There will be a fibre modem between the router and the main socket
If I put RJ45 connections on end of my "extension" cable, can I have the fibre modem installed downstairs and the router upstiars?
Thanks
James
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Thinking of Trialing Fibre - Extension Cable

Hi there,
Just to clarify before answering your questions, the only fibre trial available at the moment (the 80/20 FTTC trial) is only on offer to existing fibre customers. However your questions would still be relevant to someone looking to upgrade to fibre and have that service installed.
A new master socket will be installed

Correct, it's a specific type of socket suited to a fibre installation
here will be a fibre modem between the router and the main socket

Yes, the engineer that would install the service would supply the modem, we then supply the router (unless you want to use your own)
If I put RJ45 connections on end of my "extension" cable, can I have the fibre modem installed downstairs and the router upstiars?

I wouldn't advise that to be honest, if you were to ask an engineer installing fibre can provide a data "extention" meaning that the  modem can away from the socket. There are other ways to do this such as trailing an ethernet cable from the modem to the router or using homeplugs as another solution.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jbatt
Grafter

Hi
So the question is, is the entension cable just a regular CAT5e/6 cable?
I need to do something, because my existing broadband is really poor. At the moment it is running 1.2M download and controlling customer machines is getting hard. OTher times (mainly evenings) it can go to 4Mb. £41.99 a month for a 1.2Mb download and 0.28 upload is pretty expensive, especially when I am next to the Green telephone thing.
I am on an old Business package, and my line connected to the Green box in the road is ready for Fibre connections.
What gave me the thought of trailing Fibre was BT said I could move over to them and get 80/20 connection but I'd rather stay with Plusnet.
Thanks
James
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There are other ways to do this such as trailing an ethernet cable from the modem to the router

I thought that was what jbatt was suggesting Smiley
That's exactly what it would be if he put RJ45's on his Cat5 'extension'. As long as it really is cat5 cable you'll be fine.
I assume you've got the necessary crimp tools and cable tester.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jbatt
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
There are other ways to do this such as trailing an ethernet cable from the modem to the router

I thought that was what jbatt was suggesting Smiley
That's exactly what it would be if he put RJ45's on his Cat5 'extension'. As long as it really is cat5 you'll be fine.

Hi
Thanks for that confirmation.
Over the last few years, I done my house up and installed CAT5e cable in to each room all coming back to my "office" small bedroom.
I am just working out the cost of the package, I think I am on an original option 3 business package which means I am outside of any 12 or 24 month contract.
Thanks
James
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

ah yes I've TBH I forgot the difference between RJ45 and RJ11, usually just refer to them as phone and ethernet. So yes, CAT5 with RJ24 (ethernet) should be fine.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

CAT5 with RJ24 (ethernet)

You're not having a good day with the keyboard there Adam Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

lol Smiley despite working in a technical role I've always (and always will)  preffered to use layman's terms so I'll stick to ethernet or modem cable Cheesy
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
digitalfixer
Grafter

Hi,
Whilst I have FFTP not FTTC, I believe the FTTC setup is similar in that there is a "Modem" that provides a RJ45 connection that goes to the WAN port of a router.  If this is the case then my setup sounds very similar to what you want to do.  I have a small Cat5e Patch cable that connects the RJ45 port on the Modem to a RJ45 faceplate next to the Modem that then is connected to a Cat5e cable that goes up to the loft where I have the Router.  From there it fans out and also being up high gives very good wireless coverage.  Cat 5e cable is good for about 100m so as long as you keep the runs below that and use good quality cable/connectors you should have no issues with separating the Modem and the router
Gary
mzunny
Dabbler

RJ11, RJ45 ... for 20 meters is no difference. I cut the connector RJ11 and made RJ45 , used four wires (telecommunication cable has only three pairs) ^_^ . This is not a cat 5e connection right now, so what.
For household where there is no interference with the environment you don't need any of category ;-))) Other story will be for 80 meters long connection ;]
davidcrocker
Dabbler

When I was using ADSL, I had a 10m RJ11 "high quality broadband extension" cable between my master socket in one room and the modem/router in another. When the Openreach engineer came to install FTTC, he was quite happy for me to use the same cable between the master socket and the Openreach modem. So you may be able to use your cable as-is. If the engineer objects, you can ask for the extension cable and socket to be installed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

While the above is true we'd still recommend using ethernet cable where possible. True you can get shielded telephone cable for extensions such as this but given it's ethernet from socket to modem and likewise ethernet from modem to router it's probably easier to use that, and it's definitely less susceptible to interference.
Ronski
Rising Star

Inside the new master sockets are terminals for running extension's for the xDSL, if you've done your own network wiring it's basically the same and very easy to do. If anyone needs any info just ask and I'll find a guide, plenty on the net.