cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n Router with 80/20 trial

Oakey

TG582n Router with 80/20 trial

I'm taking part in the 80/20 trial and was sent a technicolor TG582n router.
Despite setting it up as per the instructions, it is unable to connect.
I get the error "Could not bring up link".
It seems to me as if it is configured to use ADSL as the connection type is shown as PPPoA.
This is despite me being very careful not to run the setup wizard (as instructed) and performing a full factory reset.
The firmware version is V8.4.4.J /BW
Anyone else having problems like this?
Thanks,
Chris
21 REPLIES 21
spiderwheels
Dabbler

Re: TG582n Router with 80/20 trial

I've just received two of these routers (lucky me!) and neither of them will connect. They both appear to be stuck on PPPoA...
marcyd
Dabbler

I have recieved one also and will be giving it a try tomorrow.
Fingers crossed
deadbeat

I have the TG582n and it was easy to configure and it works fine.
For configuration look Chris' post 1122 at
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102776.msg887421.html
I just followed the picture.
The firmware of my router is V8.4.4.J.  There is no BW on the end.  Is V8.4.4.J /BW an updated firmware?
If I go to Broadband Connection - Internet services - Internet/Details it shows the connection type to be PPPoE.
If I go to Technicolor Gateway - Configuration it shows - Routed PPPoA on 0/38 (modified by user)
I suppose that this is due to the modified firmware.
It still works.
spiderwheels
Dabbler

the point is it's not a configuration problem.. it just doesn't work!
willm888
Dabbler

Quote from: Oakey

Anyone else having problems like this?

Yes, exactly the same...just wasted an hour faffing around with the TG582 without getting it to successfully connect once.
I have the plusnet specific instructions which I followed exactly (LAN4 to modem, not using the wizard etc) and connected wired and wirelessly through 2 different devices, tried resetting the router and also noticed that it was trying to connect as PPPoA.  Interestingly and mostly in frustration I even tried editing the address bar to "PPPoE" from "PPPoA" which, bizarrely appeared to change the settings within the web interface but it still failed to connect.  Have gone back to the netgear which happily connected first time.
As an aside the web interface is horrible and it's impossible to manually adjust any of the settings (PPPoE/A) for example...I;ve tried the link above too deadbeat and that's exactly the same page and settings I was editing before but, just to check I reconnected the tg and used that link and it still failed as before.
I'm not desperate to get this working but I'm happy to give it another shot in an effort to help diagnose why some are reporting it connects flawlessley and others cannot get it to connect at all.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
That sounds quite odd. I'll see if we can find out any more info for you.
Jojo Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
I've just been discussing this issue with a colleague, unfortunately it sounds like the firmware hasn't updated properly on some of the routers.
Just to let you know we're carrying on with the trial but we're not supplying any more hardware for it now, if you like I can replace these routers so let me know if you need me to do that, of course I'll check the firmware on the one's I'd intend to replace them with before sending them out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oakey

Yes please Adam, that would be much appreciated.  Smiley
spiderwheels
Dabbler

Is it possible to flash the correct firmware ourselves?
If not, could I try a new router too please?
willm888
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Happy to update the firmware at my end if you can point me in the direction of the files (not sure if its possible though with the TC..?)
Alternatively a replacement would be good, thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The file is here, good luck and please let us know how it goes.
EDIT: Changed link as that was a demo version, final version now linked. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105867.msg903450.html#msg903450 for details.
spiderwheels
Dabbler

the firmware upgrade has corrected the PPPoE problem and it appears to connect. it took me to the plusnet broadband configuration screen and asked me to enter my login details.. but configuratiion would not complete. It reverted back to the login screen time and time again
I've given up with it and gone back to the netgear
willm888
Dabbler

Also managed to update the firmware (not that easy I might add since I spent a little while trawling through the web interface looking for an update facility)  I ended up using the one linked here :http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... which worked with the .bin file provided
Had a very similar experience to spiderwheels (the router repeatedly requested logging into the web interface after every selection made - pretty frustrating!)  I persisted and got it to check the internet connection which failed but I noticed that the login details, although completed, were not my username (tr069@plusdsl.net) and a password.  I manually dropped the connection, corrected the login details and it's up and running now.. Roll_eyes
User friendly it is not...but glad it's working now
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the very useful feedback willm888
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team