cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to BT due to high costs

Hamula
Dabbler

Switch to BT due to high costs

I have just received notice of yet another penalty for going another 5GB over my usage, that brings me upto 110GB for the month.  This takes my bill this month to over £65.  I wouldn't mind this so much but during most of that time the service has been throttled anyway.
BT are offering an unlimited service for £28 a month.  
I am now considering buying out of the plusnet contract and moving over to BT.  
My questions are:
1) Although I am in theory already with BT as all plusnet members are, do I have to pay the £25 fibre activation fee?
2) Have any other plusnet fibre trialists moved over to BT and can comment on the service?
3) How do BT differ to plusnet with regards to throttling of services.
Many thanks
Stuart
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Switch to BT due to high costs

I asked the last question over at tbb but without a clear answer.
Looking at the BT Forums on TBB the throttling seems to be only on P2P
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/3995968-should-i-move-to-bt-for-fttc.html?page=1&o=31
Hamula
Dabbler

That is very useful - many thanks.  I am not a P2P user but I do need a static IP address, which may impact my decision.
It's a shame that plusnet do not offer a premium offering like I used to have before - unlimited usage for £29.95 a month.
I can't fault the service I get from plusnet in any way whatsoever, which is why I returned here from bethere, which was useless.
But it is just not financially viable to stay here and get a heavily throttled product at £5 per GB. 
Come on plusnet sort this out!
mxs
Grafter

Perhaps this is a silly question but why not switch to one of the new fibre packages that has an allowance of 120GB?
Hamula
Dabbler

Not a silly question.
Last time I looked there was no such package on offer.
I have just located it and will look into this in more detail.
It seems there is very little information available from plusnet on their offering.
I am still pondering other unlimited uncapped services at a similar price.
Many thanks for pointing this out to me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I had assumed you would have seen this Announcement http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95259.0.html
The critical point is whether you are in Market 3 - if you aren't then the BT version is cheaper
Hamula
Dabbler

Again, many thanks for pointing me towards this information.  I had not seen that before.  Yes I am in a low cost area,
If you look through the fibre section of the website, there is no information on the pro add on whatsoever.  It mentions a bit about it inside the broadband section.
So the long and short of it is I can change my account to Plusnet Extra Fibre, which will give me 120GB, for £21.49, then if I want I can add the pro addon, for £5 a month, without losing any of that 120GB? (bearing in mind the previous Pro package was something like 20GB) 
If thats the case then I would be more than happy to do so rather than losing my static IP to go over to BT.  I wouldnt even mind paying the extra when I go over the limit!
Thanks again for helping me out with this.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Hamula
So the long and short of it is I can change my account to Plusnet Extra Fibre, which will give me 120GB, for £21.49, then if I want I can add the pro addon, for £5 a month, without losing any of that 120GB? (bearing in mind the previous Pro package was something like 20GB) 
That is absolutely correct and of course you still have the free overnight period - for sure if I was going fibre (in March 2012) then I would have the Pro addon as well
WWWombat
Grafter

Spot on.
Are you a triallist from when it was free, or did you go for it when it was a £12pm extra?
If the latter, the PN seem to have said that they'll be automatically transferring people over to the new fibre packages anyway.
If the former, then you defintely have to ask for it.
The package change has to happen on the day that you get billed, so you need to ask before that date.
Once on the package, you can control whether the "Pro" add-on is activated from your control panel, and it appears to be applied straight away.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
udoh13
Dabbler

Does the Fibre Optic Extra package have unlimited overnight usage, like the normal broadband ones?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes