Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck PPPOE session ??

FIXED
zinzin31
Hooked

Stuck PPPOE session ??

Hi,

Please can someone offer some advice here .........

I've been using Plusnet FTTP with the Technicolor TG582n Router and Open Reach modem

for several years with no issue.  A few weeks ago I purchased a new router (TP-LINK VR600 V2)

and I'm unable to get Internet working (Wifi working fine)

I have carefully configured the settings according to the TP-LINK manual / setup guide several

times with no luck. (Username@plusdsl.net, password, VDSL, PPPOE etc)

I've taken advice from these two links, but nothing seems to get the internet working.

https://flowerbunch.org.uk/how-to%E2%80%A6-plusnet-fibre-broadband-with-tp-link-archer-vr600-router

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

I have even tried switching off the router & modem for an hour, then re-powering modem followed by

the router, as I read that some customers had stuck PPPOE sessions - could this be the issue ?

Although when I re-connect the TG582n router (without a power cycle to the modem) it just

re-connects without any problem.  The problem points towards wrong settings within the new router

but I have been very careful to follow the setup guides.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Stuck PPPOE session ??

@zinzin31

Welcome to the forums.

A few questions.

1. Are you really on FTTP or FTTC?

FTTP uses a BT Openreach ONT which connects to a fibre cable entering your home  while FTTC connects to the phone socket with a modem.

2. If FTTC, are you plugging the TP-Link into the phone socket or the old Openreach modem?

The VR600 does not need the Openreach modem as it has one built in. So you can try connecting it to the phone socket.

TP-Link Archer VR600
V2 - Wireless Router - DSL Modem - 802.11a/B/G/N/Ac - Desktop

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
zinzin31
Hooked

Thanks for your reply !

It's definitely FTTP. with an Openreach ONT (sorry I used the wrong terminology)

From the ONT,  an ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router.

SpendLessTime
Hero

I have an archer router (C5 v1) and had to add in a service name of "Plusnet" without the quotes (for me it is set in the Network -> WAN -> PPPoE Advanced Settings) to get a connection to work.

SpendLessTime
Hero

And is the Operation Mode set to "Wireless Router Mode"

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Fiber Broadband to FTTP Trial.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

zinzin31
Hooked

No, it was set to DSL Router mode.

However I have now tried Wireless Router Mode too - still no internet

zinzin31
Hooked

OK, I'll give that a try

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Fix

This sounds like a setup or connection problem with the TPLink. It has to be configured for Wireless Router Mode and the WAN ethernet port connected to the ONT. I am not familiar with the TPLink but from a quick look the WAN port is the ethernet socket nearest the power connector and you must you that port, the other ethernet ports are used for local LAN connections. It should only then need the username and password for the PPPoE connection which you say has already been setup.

The link you gave earlier was for setting up a FTTC connection so not applicable to FTTP. You need Wireless router mode with ethernet WAN and none of the DSL modulation type or VLAN id stuff.  Have another look at your setup and you should be able to get it working.Smiley 

zinzin31
Hooked

@SpendLessTime

@RealAleMadrid  Not sure what I did - but I now have a working Router with Internet !

Thank you very much to you both for your comments in  and trying to help

me solve this - it's very much appreciated !

I checked all the settings again tonight, and all looked fine, but when I reconnected it

to the ONT - it all burst into life.  Maybe I didn't give it enough time

Thank you !