Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues after full fibre upgrade.

mcguinness58
Grafter

Speed issues after full fibre upgrade.

Hi All

I upgraded to full fibre 145 2 weeks ago. I have done numerous speed tests which have ranged from 35Mbps to 140Mbps. Latest one tonight is 43Mbps. I was getting 80 before with FTTC and now on FTTP and way below.

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Speed issues after full fibre upgrade.

What are you running the speedtests from, how, and via what connection method (wired or wireless)?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@mcguinness58 wrote:
Hi All

I upgraded to full fibre 145 2 weeks ago. I have done numerous speed tests which have ranged from 35Mbps to 140Mbps. Latest one tonight is 43Mbps. I was getting 80 before with FTTC and now on FTTP and way below.

Thanks in advance

I too have recently upgraded to Full Fibre (500mb/s) and I too have been doing a lot of speed testing of various devices around my house. And what I've found is the the speed test process is not entirely reliable. But the reliability is due to the process that is used to do the speed testing and not the line speed of Plusnet. At least for me.

For example, I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (rpi4) connected to my Hub Two router via Ethernet. So, in theory, it should get the full 500 mb/s. I tried speedtest.net and fast.com web pages via a browser on the rpi4 and both showed abysmal speeds (30-40 mb/s). I then installed the Command Line version of speedtest (CLI) and lo and behold it was showing nearly the full 500 mb/s download and 70 mb/s upload on the same rpi4. On my Sony smart TV I installed the speedtest app and ran it and I was seeing the 2-300 mb/s speeds of all other 5gHz wirelessly connected devices, which I expected. So, I think some ways of doing the speedtesting work better on some platforms than others.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@ksaro1
You appear to be finding the limits of the connected equipment rather than the speed of the internet service.
The raspberry PI hardware/processor cannot run the browsers javascript fast enough to reach 500 Mbits speeds.
The command line speedtest is much less processor intensive on the PI.
I also doubt the smart TV has a processor capable of reaching such speeds
TV manufactures will use tge cheapest lowest spec processor required to make the TV function.
Regards
Richard