Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

Increased use of video calling because of this Covid malarky has highlighted just how bad my FTTP connection has become - or so it seems.

I assumed that I was on some sort of speed tarriff and was more than happy (at the right price of course) to increase it from my assumed 36mb download speed and bump it up a bit. Not so I was told after finally getting through on the phone after hanging on for over half an hour left earhole fast becoming numb, "there is not restriction on speed for FTTP, so no need to pay more money as it would make no difference" 

So why is is so rubbish and what can I do about it?

"We'll monitor for 72 hours and take it from there" I was told.

Funny thing is when I do an 'independent' line speed check it tells me I'm, getting less then 5mb download, when I use the BT line speed check it tells me slightly higher at 7.5mb.... but when I check my line speed via Plusnet/BT it comes back as 35mb. 

Is somebody being economical with the truth I'm wondering. 

Ah well, guess I'll just have to wait until an engineer turns up to find out exactly what is going on... or maybe not. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
34 REPLIES 34
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to FTTP Trial.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman 

Welcome back to the forums.  Thumbs_Up

Your assumption that someone is being economical with the truth might not be far wide of the mark due to many of the PN telephone help staff not knowing about FTTP as it's not a mainstream product.  Don't forget the recommended method of getting FTTP issues sorted is via this forum, however it's quite likely that you don't have a problem with your FTTP speed.

I find this AAISP speed checker to be quite good;

http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

As it seems you're still on the 40/10Mb/s package it might be possible for you to be upgraded to the 80/20 one, but I say might because ISTR something about no longer being able to do account changes on FTTP, although something as straightforward as that could still be permitted.

However,I would have thought 40/10 should be fast enough for video calls.  You haven't mentioned what the problem is, so could it be caused by slowness 'at the other end'?

There have been some cases where the FTTP download speed has been limited to previous ADSL speeds which has then required intervention by FTTP knowledgeable staff.

Try the linked speedtest and if your Download / Upload is not in the region of 36 / 9 then there may be a problem that needs investigation.

Another cause of speed problems can be WiFi.

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks @RobPN 

Will try your speed test link.

Tried mine connected direct rather that wifi for those result I gave so.....

I also assumed I was on a slower speed tariff but as said I think, I was told that there was no tariff or limit on my speed and that paying extra would make no difference - which to be honest, was at least honesty from the guy at the other end of the phone.

Cheers, will see you around elsewhere on here! 

PS. Just tried test using wife (laptop next to hub) and it gave me 28.8Mbps.  Guess I'll just wait and see what the visiting (hopefully) engineer tells me with his box of tricks. Going to be interesting. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman Welcome back old bean, I hope all is well with you.

Minivanman
Legend

Hi @Mook 

All well thanks, hope the same with yourself and the rest of the crowd!

Noticed politics has been banned, is that right? 

Herman Melville
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Yes, and not before time Smiley

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Minivanman 

On a wired connection you should get close to your "package" speeds. Although it's called 40/10 I think the actual package is 38/10 so this is what you should get close to.

I've not checked for a while but I usually get high 36 or low 37 download and close to 10 up.

Brian

Minivanman
Legend

@Mook 

Just as well I suppose given the grief some cannot resist giving out. 😒

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@bmc 

Sounds about right, but when I enquired about paying for an increased speed I was told there was no facilty for that and that all FTTP was at the same speed which should be according the guy I spoke to sat at around 80mbps.

Just a bit confused with it all at the moment.

No been an issue until I started doing video calls to the kids - even video calling my next door neighbour was terrible so we had to go out and talk to each other over the fence!  😄

Herman Melville
bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

The FTTP Trial was not integrated into PlusNet back office systems and very few staff were trained up on it. If you phone in you're likely to get someone who knows nothing about the service. Here is the only place where you're likely to find someone like @Gandalf who knows what's what with FTTP.

If you log in to your Members page and have a mooch about you might find what package you're on. The FTTP service is based on the FTTC packages.

If you're on 38/10 you may or may not be able to upgrade to 78/20. I seem to recall a message where it was stated it was not possible to upgrade (or down grade) as PlusNet were not processing modification orders (or whatever they might be called) as the Trial had ended so no further changes would be made though of course we continue to with or service.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

As ever with these things your internet speed may be fine and it's your WiFi that's not up to scratch. The PlusNet router is not renowned for it's WiFi capability.

Brian

Minivanman
Legend

Funny you should say that about the router as when is was installed the Plus Net one (the one that looks like it belongs in a Barbie doll house) had not arrived so the engineer put in a BT one he had in the back of his van. 

The Plus Net router turned up about two wekks later.... and is still sat in the back of the cupboard. 

Herman Melville
bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

Are you able to do a test using a wired connection?

The PlusNet HubOne is a re-badged BT HH5 so it's possible you've got this unit anyway. You should try and figure out what BT router you have so you can get an opinion on it.

Brian

Minivanman
Legend

Not ried that yet, thought I'd wait until the engineer checked it all out. 

It's a BT Hub5 MKRQ by the way.

Herman Melville