cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So is it the new big green cabinets..?

Discord
Grafter

So is it the new big green cabinets..?

If so.. one has sprung up a 100 yds away from the house.  Appeared like lots of road and pavement digging was done.
Only thing is, date for enabled cabinet was Dec, then March, now June...  guess it's not going to happen anytime this century.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So is it the new big green cabinets..?

[quote=Discord]guess it's not going to happen anytime this century.
If they don't get it done this century then BT will have to rename it "22CN"  Cheesy
mikeyriot
Grafter

If I were you I'd check everyday, when they start changing the dates it usually means its about to be enabled. I think the March and Dec dates were simply "placeholders" and not at all accurate, whereas the new june date may actually be right. Mine was moved from Dec to late Jan and mid Jan I noticed it was a go! Good luck!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Discord
If so.. one has sprung up a 100 yds away from the house. 

It should be beside an existing cabinet, if not it could be for something else.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=itsme]It should be beside an existing cabinet, if not it could be for something else.
Lets hope it didn't look like this -

otherwise the broadband service is likely to be a pile of poo !  Shocked
itsme
Grafter

Grin Grin
ashgeo
Grafter

If it looks like the one on the left then it is an FTTC cab....  The one on the right is the existing distribution cab.
This is my one which was installed in early January, was activated about three weeks ago and BT are due to connect me on Tuesday  Cheesy
Can't wait to wave bye bye to my 1 meg connection....
George
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: Discord
If so.. one has sprung up a 100 yds away from the house. 

It should be beside an existing cabinet, if not it could be for something else.

Ours is over the other side of the road, BT man said they tend to put them near street lamps to pick-up the AC feed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one near me the old box is one side of the road, the fibre the other as said next to light pole
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: knowdice
Ours is over the other side of the road, BT man said they tend to put them near street lamps to pick-up the AC feed.

As the cabinets have to be connected together did Openreach dig up the road to lay a cable?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I will go down town tomorrow to make sure, there is one outside Tesco. dont think an old type in view, they run the fibre down a trench to the BT manhole about 20 ft away
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not very good pictures - sorry
on the long shot the FTTC cabinet is at the left hand end under the two posters, think they are the old cabinets behind the gent with the two Tesco bags at the right, the are modern but the correct size
the other show the distance from Manhole to the FTTC Cabs
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: knowdice

As the cabinets have to be connected together did Openreach dig up the road to lay a cable?

For us they didn't have to, because there are BT manholes either side of the road that connect the new part of our estate to the older part.
So, BT termination cabinet for "analogue" wires to houses and exchange are on one side and BT man said that there was a 200 pair cable between that and the fibre cabinet.
I think that each installation takes two pairs i.e. jumpered feed to house and jumpered feed to exchange so a 200 pair will handle 100 subscribers and I seem to remember reading somewhere that that "standard" fibre cabinet handles 180 connections.
itsme
Grafter

Thought the idea was to shorten the length of the copper not to increase it.  Grin Wink
knowdice
Rising Star

Yes... Cheesy
For me the maths are.
On ADSL cabinet to exchange 6km, cabinet to me 500m so total of 6.5km which gave 2mbs download on a good day  Sad
On FTTC cabinet to me 500m (ish), FTTC cabinet to wiring cabinet 20m which is a total of 520m which gives 32mbs down and 7.5 up   Grin