cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, is FTTP now available where I'm moving to?

FIXED
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

So, is FTTP now available where I'm moving to?

I see the trial has ended.  Does that mean Plusnet are now selling FTTP for the area where I'm moving to, i.e. TR3 6SF?

When Google etc. to find a supplier BT is the only option apparently.

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: So, is FTTP now available where I'm moving to?

Fix

@SkylineUK_Dup 

PlusNet do not have a commercial FTTP product on offer so you'll need to consider other ISP's.

The following is a list of possible providers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/consumer-isp-choices-on-openreachs-uk-fttp-broadband-n...

Note that Sky are apparently launching FTTP before the end of the year And Spectrum I believe are now offering UK wide,

Brian

benfphillips
Grafter

Sadly Plus.net aren't currently offering FTTP outside the trial which is closed and that was a reason for me to leave when I moved recently :(.

Spectrum are definitely offering service as it was an option available to me when I ordered fibre.

There aren't many addresses on that postcode, which is actually quite local to me (TR1) but the ones I selected were able to get FTTP. I'd enter your details into this checker - https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

I ended up going with BT due to the fact that there was a £120 reward card for signing up and no installation fee. A lot of the providers I looked at passed the £59 fee onto the end user.

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

I ordered FTP from BT in September, but it looks like I won't get it (from anyone) this side of Christmas.  Open Reach surveyed it and it's going to cost £5k* apparently of which I've got to pay £1.5k!!!!  The chairman of Open Reach was down in Cornwall a week or so ago extolling the virtues of their fibre roll-out activities but no mention was made of customers having to subsidise it!

£5k* is the price Kellys (Open Reach's digup subcontractor) want for digging up the road and our garden to bring the fibre from the OR box at the bottom of the road.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@SkylineUK_Dup 

While I have sympathy for you OpenReach have always had an "excess construction charge". Even once you take Kelly's profit and any excess OR admin out of the picture it would still be an expensive job to install fibre at your premises. I'm guessing even with your contribution OR won;t make a profit on your connection.

News sites often quote a price per premise when talking about state aid - a recent ISPReview article regarding "clawback" for future investment in the north of Scotland included the comment "an absolutely colossal subsidy of roughly £2,967 per premises"

At least you have the option. Of the eight properties shown against the post code, seven can get WBC FTTP. The final one can only get ADLS 2 with a speed of "up to 2"

Brian