cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowness issues after contract renewal

YellaFella
Grafter

Slowness issues after contract renewal

Hello, I had an email from plus.net after 5 years+ and being on the FTTP trial since day 1 to say my monthly bill is going up by £1 which is fine, just surprised to hear that its only happened now despite being off contract or never been asked to sign back up.

However, I've only just noticed after two months the speed has dropped from around 72 to around 22. Please help, many thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Slowness issues after contract renewal

I've seen this happen before with FTTP customers, for some obscure reason the PlusNet system puts the connection profile back to ADSL2+ speeds. You need a staff member on here to pick it up and fix it. Don't try phoning customer support as they won't have a clue and probably make things worse.Smiley

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just updated the connection speed profile for your account so that should be fixed now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
YellaFella
Grafter

Thank you very much. I was on the phone for over an hour earlier, how do I stop my support ticket going through. The last conversation was that I need to prove I was on a faster speed despite what the tariff I’m on is according to the support team it was passed on to.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry about that, I'll pass on some feedback and I'd try and stick with us helping with this over the forum for now if you can. Has the change I made taken effect?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
YellaFella
Grafter

I’ve done two checks since, and after rebooting I’m getting 32 and 36 downloads which is getting there. Still not the 72 I got before renewing my contract. Makes me wish I never got greedy trying to save £1.

When I spoke to customer service they said the service is exactly that, up to 40 Mbps, nothing has changed on their side. They just renewed my contract despite me saying is anything going to change, they assured me it be exactly the same.

I’m annoyed, as I’ve not done anything but can’t prove the speeds I’ve got. I’ve only been made aware of the speeds when my friend said your downloads is running around 22 which is better than his ADSL setup. Will I ever get my 72 download speeds again?
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @YellaFella,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still not getting the same speeds as before. So we can try to pinpoint where the issue lies, please can you confirm if the same issue is occurring through Ethernet connections and Wi-Fi connections? Please could you also confirm if anything with the internal setup in the property has been changed recently and where the router is currently connected to?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
YellaFella
Grafter

There is no issues, I’ve had the same setup since 2011/12 when the very first FTTP trials came in, I was on Halo 3 on the Xbox that same day. What’s happened is that the price went up and plus.net said I had to sign up a new contract, they advise me over the phone nothing will change. At the time I was getting average 72 download speeds average.

The other day my friend mentioned I was getting good speeds at 22, and I thought that’s not right (he’s on good old ADSL) which made me check and it’s true I’ve been downgraded to 22. Unfortunately my logs only show the last two months so I’ve put two and two together. Since the renewal in June, the speeds have dropped. Yes the package I was on states up to 40 Mbps, so I can’t argue that. However my speeds have been a lot more than that, and unfortunately I can’t prove it. That’s the arguement plus.net are saying, nothing has changed from their end. Yet something has. I’m willing to pay the £1 more if they can cancel my contract and go back to how it was? I’m just annoyed it has come to this when they’ve specifically said no changes will be done, everything will be the same on renewal if I just sign the contract. I even said it states on the contract renewal up to 40 Mbps, they assured me no changes, it be exactly what I get now.

I’m using both wireless and wired, I no longer have an iMac so have to buy another to check wired speeds again.  I use Google Wifi and it does a speed check every other day, and it shows 22 download speeds for the last two months in the app. I guess I’ve effectively had everything reset to default when I renewed my contract. Does anyone else get this on renewal, or are their speeds for FTTP the same at 40Mbps? I had up to 93 on the early trials ha.

YellaFella
Grafter

I’ve ran a factory reset on my Google Wifi router so all data is now wiped, but having issues as I don’t remember my always on broadband password details. On phone to support now but they can’t help insisting I need a new router for this?! It’s really confusing trying to explain this as they don’t get why I need a password!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I did say calling customer support was not a good idea. Why do they think you need a new router, that doesn't make much sense? 

The router password is the same as that used for logging in to the member centre and you can set up a new password there if you don't know it. That should get you back on line. As for the speed issue support are now convinced you are a 40Mbps service and you will need help in this forum to sort it out, but there may not be many staff around over the holiday weekend.Sad

YellaFella
Grafter

Ok, password issue resolved, and as you said, it’s exactly that.

Speed wise, I can see they are saying that as it’s the package I was assigned to. But I’m on FTTP, and the speeds have always been quicker regardless. I used to be on the legacy 20gb a month limit, where it was unlimited from 8am to 4pm then capped until midnight daily. That was before I moved over for FTTP, I haven’t changed the package since then as it’s been averaging 72 on downloads.

I’m sticking on here for uspport with you guys, is there nothing that can be done to get the speed I had prior to the contract renewal? Cheers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I think I've fixed this for you now.

Could you reboot your router letting us know how your speed looks afterwards please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
YellaFella
Grafter

It’s at the package speed of average 38, but not the FTTP speeds I had as stated previously of 72. I can send the details over message? It has my IP details so didn’t want to post it on public.

I’ve not done the speed tests for over a year online so only have those tests, my Google WiFi has been factory reset yesterday so I don’t have logs anymore from the router showing the speeds. It shows as the package speed at 38. Does that mean I’ll never get the 72 downloads again?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Have you rebooted your router since my last post?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
YellaFella
Grafter

Yes sir, forgot to mention. I reset the modem and router, no joy.

I’ve just tried it again, and used the online speed checker (Google WiFi only updates speeds every 2 days), and it’s showing back to normal now. I’ll monitor it rest of the week, though it’s looking good sir.