Slow speed on FTTP 300

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Slow speed on FTTP 300

@cocowalla 

Are you sure a 'mod' offered to help?

It's irrelevant how far you are from the street cabinet as that has now just become a piece of street furniture if you have FTTP.  It's possible that your fibre may pass close to the cabinet, but it's not involved in your connection.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with your service, but even FTTP has its limitations and can suffer from things such as contention to a degree.  It's frustrating I know, but if there is something wrong that can be corrected I'm sure it will be.

EDIT:  @Gandalf types faster than me!

cocowalla
Dabbler

> Are you sure a 'mod' offered to help?

Sorry, it was a Plusnet staff member, not a mod.

> things such as contention to a degree

I doubt that contention is the issue; I'm not in a crowded area, and speed maxxes out at 200Mb all day. Plusnet also now say my sync speed is 220Mb.

> It's frustrating I know, but if there is something wrong that can be corrected I'm sure it will be

Nope, I've tried, but Plusnet simply aren't willing to get OpenReach involved unless I get less than 50% of the advertised rate :`(

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry for the confusion. Distance isn't relevant as there's no copper line involved. Additionally there is no sync speed for an FTTP service. There is only the provisioned product, in your case that's 330mbps download and 50mbps upload. 

Due to how fast you're currently getting, I don't think there's anything which an Openreach engineer can do, but I'd be happy to arrange a Qube engineer to take a closer look at your side of things.

If you'd like to go ahead, let me know when you'll be available for a visit. These type of engineers are available in 2 hour timeslots 8am to 10am, 10am to 12pm, 12pm to 2pm, 2pm to 4pm, and 4pm to 6pm.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cocowalla
Dabbler

> Additionally there is no sync speed for an FTTP service

That's what I thought, but that's what the support team told me for some reason!

> If you'd like to go ahead, let me know when you'll be available for a visit

Thank you! I'll send a PM shortly.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@cocowalla, have you ever run speedtests from your laptop on other networks that have shown faster results? I have a (not too old) laptop that can't get above around 220Mbps on a speedtest, even though it has  Gb ethernet and can reach 800Mbps doing a file transfer.

cocowalla
Dabbler

@corringham

> have you ever run speedtests from your laptop on other networks that have shown faster results? I have a (not too old) laptop that can't get above around 220Mbps on a speedtest, even though it has Gb ethernet and can reach 800Mbps doing a file transfer.

Yes, I checked at work. And at home, I actually checked with 2 laptops and a workstation!
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@cocowalla wrote:
Yes, I checked at work. And at home, I actually checked with 2 laptops and a workstation!

That's good, in that it confirms there is an issue (and bad...). Good luck getting it resolved.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @cocowalla,

Just to follow up from the private messages yesterday, how did the engineer visit go?

(For anyone interested, I arranged for Openreach to go out, after speaking with a colleague in our faults escalation team)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

For anyone interested, I arranged for Openreach to go out

be interested to hear what they found...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

We haven't received engineer notes, but this clear notification we've received from our suppliers is promising:

"Clear description: Local access network between Exchange and End User; local access cable fault cleared. Please retest this service. If you believe there is still a problem after checking your equipment, power and settings, please select the "Reject" option to reopen this trouble ticket. Note that the opportunity to reject the clear will expire at the end of the retest period, and a new trouble ticket will need to be raised."

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Local access network between Exchange and End User; local access cable fault cleared

Interesting, I was under the impression that FTTP either worked or it didn't!, certainly when I've used fibre optic in other applications like Profibus communications, any type of fibre fault causes complete loss of comms. I'm no fibre transmission expert, but I would have thought that a fibre optic cable fault would cause complete failure rather than a speed reduction ? I suppose there could be some form of fault which caused some light loss and maybe the kit can cope with some loss by increasing error correction/retries which would then reduce throughput.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I wouldn’t read too much into that as it’d be a generic text to suggest the job was signed off as a problem fixed due to some sort of external fault.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cocowalla
Dabbler

> Just to follow up from the private messages yesterday, how did the engineer visit go?

It's not until tomorrow morning, but I'll update this thread afterwards.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah sorry I’m a day ahead. Sad In that case from what I remember, the appointment would be cancelled for us to have received that clear notification. I’ve left the office but will check again first thing tomorrow morning.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cocowalla
Dabbler

Hah, it looks like that appointment is no longer needed! Whatever the "local network access" issue was that they fixed, it seems to have done the job!

I'm now getting 310/50, as expected!

Thank you Plusnet for listening and getting this sorted (eventually, and somewhat under duress, but still, thanks Wink )!