cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow downlink on new FTTP installation

Parkhouse
Hooked

Slow downlink on new FTTP installation

Question 166563800 has been open for 2 weeks now and I still only have less than 2Mbps downlink speed. (Uplink is ok at 10Mbps)  Multiple responses on 166563800 seems to be getting nowhere.  The OpenReach installer could not understand why it was not working properly and concluded it was a Plusnet problem. He also spoke to a colleague who had seen same problem for another Plusnet installation.  It looks like my traffic is being restricted to the rate I used to get on dsl.

Is there someone in Plusnet who can get this sorted?

15 REPLIES 15
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Slow downlink on new FTTP installation

@Parkhouse

Someone posed a similar query earlier today. What does it say here:  Current line speed  ?

Parkhouse
Hooked

No, sorry that does not help.  There is no way that fttp should be giving me less than 2Mbps. It should be near 38Mbps.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

So I take it that your correct/expected speed of 40Mb/s was indicated at the link I gave.

Parkhouse
Hooked

No, this link gave me info about speed on someone else's line....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Fair enough, that's probably the temporary number that PN allocate to your account to enable them to process your FTTP stuff.

However, I believe the speed indicated there is correct for your account, so presumably that says 40Mb/s ?

Parkhouse
Hooked

Maybe, the exchange name is unknown to me also, but the date shown is the day after the installation, so that may support what you are saying.

Yes 40M is the speed shown.  

Where does that get us?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

ISTR the exchange name is 'Benton'.

The '40Mb' would indicate that your account download speed has been correctly set by PN so it's not a simple matter of 'pressing a button' to correct what is already correct!

Presumably you're conducting your tests using an Ethernet connection between your computer and router and not wirelessly.

Parkhouse
Hooked

The openreach engineer tested it using wired connection, and got the same result as we have always seen wirelessly. I have not tried with wired ethernet since then. (Would mean digging out an old laptop that has ethernet port - all our current devices are wifi only!)  Is feasible that a wifi link could be 2M in one direction and 10M in the other?  Surely it would be too much of a coincidence that this was also what was seen via wired connection, on initial installation?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

When changing from ADSL to FTTP PlusNet do have to make a manual adjustment at their end once the FTTP install is complete. From memory I had a similar situation where upload was fine but download was slow until PlusNet made the switch the following day.

Have you updated your Ticket on your Members page - might be quicker than waiting for a staff member to reply on here.

Brian

Parkhouse
Hooked

Brian, thanks for your input confirming what the openreach engineer told me.  I have on open question on the members page which now has many qs and as but with no success, thus I thought I would try on here.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

ISTM that PN have already made the manual adjustment which @bmc is referring to as you're seeing '40Mb' as your current line speed, albeit with an incorrect exchange name and number showing.

The BTOR engineer possibly tested your speed before PN had made said adjustment which would explain his reading of ADSL equivalent download speed.

Definitely you need to test using an Ethernet cable to rule the wireless out, and PN will probably insist on that.  I've seen several instances on this forum where the problem was found to be exactly that!

Clutching at straws, the only other thing I can think of if you haven't already done so would be to power-cycle your router and possibly the ONT in case the higher speed hasn't been picked up by one or the other.

Parkhouse
Hooked

Thanks for all your input!

The openreach engineer did try resetting the ont and router.   It does seem like clutching at straws, as you say, but I will dig out the old laptop and check with wired connection, and feed this back as further input to the open queston with pn.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Yes, but as I mentioned earlier, the time when the OR engineer was present and doing his stuff was probably before the PN manual adjustment had taken place, so it wouldn't hurt to power-cycle again.  Wink

Parkhouse
Hooked

Fixed!   Many thanks RobPN.

Reset the OTN and now have 30 or more Mbps.

Pity the PN support staff did not know about this.