Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: BT says I can get Fibre but not Plusnet

FIXED
Random_User

Hi,

I am an existing FTTP customer with BT (they gave me it two years ago - seemed to be their preferred installation method).

So is this link is for existing PlusNet customers only?

As a BT customer it is quite frustrating that no one else wants to take my hard earned cash (especially when BT keep messing things up on my connection).

Why has this trial been going on for two years? Are BT holding PN back?

For those that can get FTTP from PN (can I get it if I call up?) are the costs the same as advertised for "Fibre" (or FTTC).

Thanks.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to distinguish it from the thread it was split from.

10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: BT says I can get Fibre but Plusnet doesn't

Moderator's note:

Split to its own thread from here.

Title changed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Fix

I'm afraid the PlusNet FTTP service is a "trial" for existing customers only.

There are a handful of other FTTP providers. Have a look at the following the "Fibre Broadband" and then the sub heading "Ultrafast"

Brian

Edit : Forgot to post link

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @Random_User

Sadly, our FTTP trial is only available to existing customers.

I recently posted on another topic with more info over here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Random_User

Thanks. So what are the costs anyway? I could be wasting my time investigating PN anyway if the costs are too much.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unlimited Fibre £14.99 per month

Unlimited Fibre Extra £19.99 per month

Plus line rental of £18.99 per month, or a £2.50 surcharge for a broadband only package.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Random_User

Thanks.

Looking at the link bmc provided it looks like the other options for FTTP are pretty expensive. Looks like BT have me trapped in for now. Nice little scam they have running.

Oh well, thanks for the info.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you can get ADSL to your address, you could sign up for that and when your account is activated, head on over to trials.plus.net to sign up to the FTTP trial (providing WBC FTTP is showing available at www.dslchecker.bt.com which if you've got FTTP with BT Retail/Consumer it should be).

When the FTTP service is provisioned, you'll just need to give your current provider a phone call to cease your service with them. As the ONT box you've got should accept two connections so you shouldn't be without FTTP for the duration.

Additionally, if you do sign up on ADSL, we've got no-contract deals so when the FTTP service is provisioned with us, you can drop off the phone line if you want with no cancellation fees, paying the £2.50 surcharge per month.

There is a £50 activation fee for no-contract ADSL connections though. Alternatively, we've got a £50 cashback deal running for ADSL on a 12 month contract... which could be used towards cancelling the phone line after FTTP is provided.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

I hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@Random_User

FTTP is a niche product though this may change with the recent ramp up of network installation.

I believe Zen Internet have a good reputation and provide a respected router (though some consider it "ugly"). They beat BT on price so there is a bit of saving.

If you don't need a phone line the PlusNet are by far the cheapest. However, given it's a "trial" product this comes with warnings. There is little support other than through this forum. You cannot get PlusNet TV though you can get the BT Sport App.

Finally there is no knowing what will happen if or when PlusNet ends the trial.

Brian

Random_User

I put my number in the ADSL checker that Gandalf mentioned and it came back: There is no data available for this number.

This is what I mean, ever since getting FTTP, it has caused side issues as BT etc don't seem to have their systems setup properly to deal with it. For example, I am currently capped at 40Mbit whereas their FTTC customers get 50Mbit and BT simply can't work out how to change the speed on my connection. They've also broken the caller display. Oh well enough of the moaning, the internet itself is pretty good.

PN sounds too much of a roundabout/unknown right now for me. Thanks anyway.

I'm now paying £47.50/mo for BT (line and unlimited fibre 50mbit), Zen works out about £41 for the first 12 mo, then £44/mo after. It's not much of a saving, and the upload speed is half what I'm getting at BT (it went up to 20mbit out of the blue a couple of months ago) but the introductory offers from BT are nice, so I'll probably need to move to then come back. By which time hopefully PN will have finished their trial and be offering the full service.

Incidentally I used to be a PN customer, and have set family up with it too, which is why I am here.

Thanks.

bmc
Hero

@Random_User

Does your address appear if you use the post code version of the DSL Checker? I believe PlusNet systems depend of the checker to be able to place an order.

As far as I know all ISP's use 38/10 or 78/20 apart from BT. Funnily enough until November PlusNet were the odd one out in that they offered only 38/2 & 78/20.

You could try BT to see if they'll offer a deal to keep you but otherwise you'll take a hit on the up-load speed. PlusNet are by far the cheapest but there would be the hassle of installing ADSL first (if possible). Given the way FTTP works you could potentially keep your BT connection running until you got PlusNet ADSL up and running and then it may be a reasonably straight forward swap from BT to PlusNet FTTP. However I'm playing guessing games on this.

Brian