cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with WNR1000 Router

Stephen85

Problems with WNR1000 Router

My router arrived last weekend and at first setting it up all seemed fine, I'd set my current DG632 router up as just a modem and plugged theWNR1000 into this all the lights were on and I managed to set it all up and could see the wireless network then within about 5 minutes all the lights except the orange power light had gone off and I couldn't connect to anything now I can't get it to connect at all. I've disconnected it all several times and re-set it up but just get the orange power light with no connection at all.
The BT engineer isn't coming for another couple of weeks yet so maybe I should try and get my hands on another router in the meantime or could it be it just isn't compatible with my DG632 set up as modem?
On another possibly unrelated note about the time all this was happening I've since been unable to connect to a small handful of websites, if I go through a proxy or on another internet connection they load fine but on my own connection they just never load.
11 REPLIES 11
mikeyriot
Grafter

Re: Problems with WNR1000 Router

You tried pluggin directly into the new router to check the wifi settings? Make sure Wifi is turned on (obviously) and check its broadcasting the network ID. You should be able to connect to the wifi regardless of wether theres an internet connection or not.
If thats all gravy then possibly a faulty router?
Stephen85

It brodcasted a network ID briefly before all the lights went out and now nothing. I can't connect to it's wifi or the interface in my web browser anymore.
I think I'll take my chances and see if it works with the new BT modem when it's installed and if not I'll have to plug the modem directly to my computer for the time being.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you get no lights when it is powered on then either the router is dead or the power brick. Either way it will not work and you need to request a replacement.
Stephen85

Sorry should have made that clearer I still have the orange power light but it never turns green and nothing else ever flashes.
Just a bit annoying that it did briefly all seem to be fine but then suddenly all went dead and now seems impossibe to get back up and running.
mikeyriot
Grafter

what state is the orange light. is it flashing or solid? Taken from the manual:
Label Activity Description
1. Power
Solid Amber        The router is performing the power-on self-test diagnostic.
Solid Green        The power is on and the router is ready.
Blinking–Amber  A software update is in progress.
Blinking–Green    Firmware is corrupted. See “Checking Basic Router Functions” on page 30 for instructions on restoring your router firmware.
Off                      Power is not being supplied to the router
Stephen85

It's a solid amber.
So does this suggest there's something at fault with the router rather then a connectivity issue with my existing modem/router?
mikeyriot
Grafter

try a factory reset if you havnt already, if that does not work, it is indeed shafted
Power Light Stays Amber. When the router is turned on, the Power light turns amber for
about 20 seconds and then turns green. If the light does not turn green, the router has a
problem.
If the Power light is still amber 1 minute after turning on power to the router:
a. Turn the power off and back on to see if the router recovers.
b. Clear the router’s configuration to factory defaults. This will set the router’s IP address to
192.168.1.1. This procedure is explained in “Restoring the Default Password and
Configuration Settings” on page 39.
If the error persists, you might have a hardware problem and should contact technical support.
Stephen85

I did try a factory reset but I'm not 100% I actually managed to do it as I was using a pen which could barely fit in the hole. I'll give it another go tomorrow and if I have no luck request a replacement.
Thanks for your help.
prichardson
Grafter

One final thing, can you try this from another power outlet as well.
If this all fails, we will organise a replacement for you
Stephen85

Well I've tried the factory reset and plugging it into a different power outlet neither had any affect on it. It seems to have just died within minutes of being setup.
How do I go about sorting a replacement? Should I add the details to the existing fibre trials ticket or should I start a new one?
prichardson
Grafter

Pop details in the original ticket if open, or open a new trial one with details.
I will try and find it tomorrow if I have time (as I normally deal with the Business ones).