Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

FIXED
edwh
Rising Star

Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

The arrival of my LRS renewal reminder has prompted me to consider porting my landline number to a VoIP provider. I’m aware of the supplementary broadband-only charge but I would like an up-to-date reassurance my FTTP service won’t be ceased with the landline port. My landline is with Plusnet. Maybe @Gandalf would be so kind to confirm?

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

@edwh 

To confirm you do need PlusNet to be aware you're moving your phone line. Their accounts systems works off the phone number so cancelling that can (and has) led to problems with your FTTP service.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @edwh 

If you can drop me a reply onto this ticket Here once you've got a date when your landline number will port to your new provider, I'll make sure we change your FTTP account to the appropriate broadband only package.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
edwh
Rising Star

Many thanks to @Gandalf for ensuring a smooth and successful port.

One observation I’ve not seen mentioned elsewhere. I was expecting my metallic path connection to go dead but I have a dial tone and a renumbered line though I’m not able to make outgoing or incoming calls on it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the post back @edwh 

Awesome. Glad to see that went well! Smiley

It's normal to hear a dial tone when the phone line's stopped as all the equipment at the exchange would still be physically in place and for the line to be allocated a random number, so the line could be easily and quickly reactivated.

However the stopped line will be available for an engineer to physically re-use, connecting to another property if needed, so it may not always be available for us (or any provider) to reactivate at your address.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet