Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port problem with full fibre

FIXED
piggymu
Hooked

Port problem with full fibre

Hi, I recently got full fibre installed and when i try to setup utorrents port, @canyouseeme says port is closed, but utorrent says port is open but i know its not. i tried manually setting the port on my router then later went back to router settings and port had been added again automaticly (tried adding pic but it seems i can only add one attachment).

I'm far from being an expert with setting ports and the last fibre i had from plusnet worked straight out of the box with no setting up required.

7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Port problem with full fibre

canyouseeme is likely to be checking for open TCP ports. uTorrent is almost certainly using UDP by default.

If the uTorrent app isn't complaining, then chances are there is nothing wrong with your configuration.

The automatic port mapping feature you have enabled in the app means it is probably relying on UPnP to open ports, rather than you having to explicitly create any port forwarding rules on the router itself.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

piggymu
Hooked

Thanks for the reply

Both TCP & UDP are set in router (see pic) so shouldn't canyouseeme see them?

I know Utorrent isen't complaning but i'm possitive its not working as it should, i can also see if i'm connectable on a private site i use and when i first boot my PC i show as connectable, but after 30-40 mins it shows unconectable.

If i don't enable auto port mapping i just get a red cross.

I also use Ace stream and that also has ports set on my router both TCP & UDP (these where set automaticly) and when i check the ports in canyouseeme they show closed.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@piggymu wrote:

Thanks for the reply

Both TCP & UDP are set in router (see pic) so shouldn't canyouseeme see them?

No. Opening the port is only half of the equation. For canyouseeme to observe it as open, something on your local machine needs to be actively listening on that port. If uTorrent isn't listening on TCP ports, then canyouseeme will never show as open.

Running netstat -a from a Windows command line will show you what ports your machine is listening on.

Edit: this is based on an assumption that canyouseeme is only checking TCP. I have no idea for sure whether or not this is the case.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

piggymu
Hooked

Ok so i don't realy know what i'm looking at Smiley

I found a few instances of the port i have set (see pic), but unlike other ports that came up there is no ip address with the uttorent ports.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

That looks as I would expect to be honest.

The only thing that will have changed with the upgrade to FTTP is your IP address when the connection was interrupted. Have you tried simply powercycling your router?

Also, you're yet to describe how this is actually effecting your ability to download torrents. I recognise a site you're using shows a connection issue but is this actually affecting anything?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

piggymu
Hooked

Nope not touched the power on my router since it was installed. but i'll give it ago.

The issue i have with torrents is i don't get full download speed and upload is almost non existent, there was one time i thought i had it fixed and i got my full download and full upload running together.

Will try power cycle and let you now Smiley

piggymu
Hooked

So power cycling the router seems to have fixed it Cheesy

My port is showing as open on canyouseeme and i'm shown as connectable.

Can't belive i've been trying to fix this for 2 weeks (couldn't post here as had issue with email and syning in) and all it took was a power cycle lol

Many thanks bobpullen, i'll wait a couple of hours and if its still fixed i'll tick the fixed box on your post.