cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Line:

tomxlisa
Grafter

Phone Line:

For people that are in FTTP areas do you still need to keep the phone line as the internet side of things dont touch the phone line in my house now, it is just a pointless charge every month as we dont even use the phone, is there a way to cancel the phone now, i can understand people with FTTC needing a active phone line still as it isn't all fibre but cant see why i would need one now?.
41 REPLIES 41
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Phone Line:

No, we can remove it. Just be aware there is an extra £2.50 charge for broadband only (as with all products). Let me know if you want this to be the case.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm not sure about this, I thought you had to keep your line rental even if you don't use the phone?
Cheers
Howard
AndyH
Grafter

I think Matty means you don't have to keep the phone line with Plusnet. The wholesale cost of FTTP without a phone service (over FTTP or copper) is basically priced the same as FTTP + phone service.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

No I actually mean that you can just have FTTP. Remember that we have a bunch of these newly built flats that don't have any copper whatsoever.
The only documentation we really have on home phone is this:
Please note there is a £2.50 per month additional charge if you do not take Plusnet Home Phone. If you would like to add Plusnet phone you can do that via the Add Phone page below.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
tomxlisa
Grafter

That is good to hear as i never really understood why i have to keep a phone line that i hardly ever use when my internet is completely fibre now and doesn't touch the phone line, is there a number i can catch you on matty as i would like to talk to you about this and something else if possible. Thanks.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@MattyC
But why does the Plusnet Terms and Conditions page http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#fibre under the heading of Plusnet Fibre Optic Broadband Service Terms state in "What we provide 2.2"
"you will need to have and keep a Plusnet or BT telephone line for the duration of the service. An engineer installation visit will be required where no working fibre installation already exists. The provision of Plusnet Fibre is subject to availability and a line check. The service may be incompatible with other services you have."

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Presumably because FTTP is still a trial so won't be covered in the T&C on the site
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@OldJim
Sorry but the standard T&C's are part of the extended T&C's for the FTTP trail. I did check before posting.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is correct but as it is a trial the standard T&C don't reflect it and I am very doubtful whether it would even be a good idea if they did as it would imply that FTTP is generally available
Actually looking at your link the first part says
Plusnet Fibre Optic Broadband Service Terms
What we provide
   The service we agree to give you comprises:
       a high-speed fibre broadband service that is delivered over a Plusnet or BT compatible telephone line;
so clearly that specific part isn't applicable to FTTP
tomxlisa
Grafter

How do you upgrade the speed, i am on the 40Mb package and might be interested in the 80Mb one?.
tigercook
Dabbler

I am now confused, I tried to cancel my copper line (pay 2.50) and just have my fibre (I have a sip service so still have a landline number with no line rental) I was told by support I have to keep the line?.....

Dear Mr Cook,  As per our conversation, I have looked at the attachment I believe the advice given was with the assumption that by removing phone, you just meant moving it to another supplier, as although FTTP can technically operate without you having an active phone line, we are not allowed to provide any broadband service currently, without you also having an active phone line.  My apologies we could not action your request.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Apart from whether Plusnet are geared up to provide FTTP only lines, are BTw?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Yep, they can and do.
I thought originally that you had to have an active telephone line (not necessarily with PN) to be on the FTTP trial, but that looks like it's changed.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Matty should be able to help you get it sorted.I got told the same thing by CS but Matty is getting it sorted for my new house!