cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer to peer traffic and FTTP. Experiences?

youngsyp
Grafter

Peer to peer traffic and FTTP. Experiences?

Hi all,
After the install on Tuesday, I thought I'd try some peer to peer services and what sort of downloads I could achieve. Now, I understand the traffic is not a priority and therefore, throughput will be low however, the most I can achieve is 13kB/s.
With my ADSL, I could happily max that out at around 260kB/s so, why the massive reduction now? Do I need to set the Netgear router up specifically, with P2P traffic in mind?
I haven't tried and downloading after midnight so can't comment on that. All testing so far has taken place in the evening.
If you have any experiences you wish to share, or any answers, please post them up.  Smiley
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Peer to peer traffic and FTTP. Experiences?

Speeds will be capped according to the details on this page: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
Don't forget that you are reporting the speed in bytes per second and that table is in bits per second (13 kB/s = 104kbps)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi jelv,
Thanks for the response and the link. That's the sort of info I was looking for.
Re the data rate, what I'm experiencing seems to fit in, give or take, with the hours I was testing, according to the table.
Apple trailers must come under streaming as I downloaded a 107MB trailer from there in around 10 seconds last night, using wireless N150.
Paul
f513toy
Grafter

Iplayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Five player, Sky Player all are Peer to Peer I believe - can someone confirm...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I can confirm they are not all P2P.
BBC iPlayer used to use Kontiki P2P, but that ceased a long time ago. I think 4oD is the same. Not sure about the others.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)