Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fibre service but FTTP available??

irishandrew

No fibre service but FTTP available??

Hi,
Wondering if anyone here can help;
I have just signed up with PlusNet as for the first time since living in my house (new build), it finally said that Fibre was available on the post-code checker on the website. I sent a ticket through as well about possibly joining the FTTP trial once my service started, having signed up for FTTC.
Today however, with my service due to go live on the 30th, I received an e-mail and text stating that there were no free ports in the cabinet and that they could not offer me fibre at this time. There was no further details regarding what happens next or whether the lack of ports is something being addressed, but needless to say I am pretty annoyed to have gone through the switching process purely to get fibre, only to be told mid-way through that it won't be available. I have just spent 25mins on hold only to talk to a customer services adviser that had no answers, nor any idea of what would happen next. Instead he suggested transferring me to the "provisions team", adding that there would be a half-hour wait on the line, and not able to provide a direct number for me to call later. Instead I am to be called in the morning which is fair enough, but I am still without answers!
My question is whether it would still be possible in my area to get FTTP if I stick with PlusNet and change over to a standard broadband product? There seems to be a disappointing lack of services in my area considering its location! I am served by the Strood exchange cabinet 26.
Thank you for any help,
Cheers,
Andrew.
5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: No fibre service but FTTP available??

Generally it's an either or situation not a choice, if you are in a FTTC enabled area you will not be able to get FTTP although I believe there are a few places where both FTTP and FTTC are available. You will have to wait until more capacity has been added to your cabinet.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@andrew
You need to check at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=btw_furl_adslchecker_applications_diagnosti... and the first line of the results will say "WBC FTTP" if your property can get FTTP.
Ignore anything that say "FTTP on Demand" in the section called "Other Offerings" as Plusnet cannot supply that product and nobody is even sure if the product can be purchased as BT Wholesale put it on hold earlier this year.
As realalemadrid said it is normally an either or situation. There are only 100 properties in the whole of the UK that can get either FTTC or FTTP so I really doubt your new build is one of the 100.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
irishandrew

Thank you both for the responses.
Unfortunately looks like I may be out of luck - the only mention of FTTP is under the "Other Offerings" section for the FTTP On Demand (along with fibre and copper multicast?). Otherwise beside FTTC A and B it says "Waiting List" under availability. I am sure when I checked this before initiating my swap however that it said available..
I assume then that I will need to wait until Openreach decide to update the cabinet? As it is the highest offering seems to be 24Mbps.
Thanks again for your help, I appear destined to be stuck with 5Mbps!
Andrew
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It does look like FTTP isn't actually available (Only FTTPoD as you have mentioned)
I can see there is a ticket on your account with our provisioning team and we will be getting an FTTC order in place for you as soon as possible, unfortunately it will be a case of having to wait for Openreach to restore capacity at your cabinet before it can be installed/activated though.
Although you will currently be stuck with the 5Mbps, you should get on FTTC sooner than some of us (No estimates for fibre on my line and I'm getting 4.5Mbps on ADSL :()
Thanks for your patience with this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
irishandrew

Hi Harry,
Thanks for looking into it. Have to praise the switchover to PlusNet though - smoothest one I've ever had, previously I've been left without phone or internet for weeks. Lost my line yesterday morning, when I came back in the afternoon everything was working. Just the wait now for Openreach to improve capacity on my cabinet!
Cheers,
Andrew.