cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fttp now too slow to be useable

LouB
Dabbler

New fttp now too slow to be useable

I had fttp installed 2 days ago on Wednesday, and as of yesterday was getting reasonable speeds( in 30s) - I'm on the 38Mbps package.
But coming home this evening, i found it very slow, and the speedcheck on my phone clocks it at just 0.1Mbps download, but 10Mbps upload.
I am trying to do the official speed test from a wired connection, but its too slow to even open the web page.
Please can someone from plusnet help, or anyone advise.
If it helps, the power cable to the fibre box isn't making a good connection, and has lost power a few times, and needed a wiggle to get it back on. But all the right lights are on now.
Thanks
Lou
28 REPLIES 28
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New fttp now too slow to be useable

@LouB

Welcome to the forums.

While waiting for an FTTP aware staff member to come along ( @Gandalf  @MasterOfReality ), what "current line speed" does it show for you at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?

This limits the download speed for the FTTP trial users like you and me but leaves the upload speed correct.

Which sounds suspiciously like what has happened here. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
LouB
Dabbler

Showing as estimated 1.5, current 2.2, dated before fibre was installed. Which was about right for my adsl and would be a big improvement on what I've got right now.
SpendLessTime
Hero

This happens all too often when switching to FTTP, the ADSL speeds are resent a few days after the line has been updated to FTTP speeds so the speeds go down just as you get used the faster speeds. 

And you are now seeing the biggest issue of the trial in that support is only really from this forum board. The call centre staff aren't involved. (This is the only issue I have with Plusnet's trial and does make think about moving on as I'm not sure anyone else in my household would be happy posting problems here if I wasn't around)

Hopefully someone will come along. I tagged 2 members of staff in the earlier post and let's hope one of them picks it up soon.

edit: Add more about my view on the trial

LouB
Dabbler

Thanks @SpendLessTime, and helpful to know about who to tag. What's so frustrating is that it's not even reverted to adsl speeds- it hasn't been this slow since dial up.
SpendLessTime
Hero

Well I hope that this is the issue for you, @MatthewWheeler is on duty today, so hopefully he can help too.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@LouB

I'm not at all certain of what's happening here.

When you transfer to FTTP PlusNet need to flick a switch to change your download speeds from your previous service to FTTP. This has to be done manually and can take a day or so to happen though you do have an internet connection (at old speed) in the interim.

This appears to have happened as you reported speeds originally in the 30's (was this on WiFi? - you should get around 36/37 on wired (I do)).

Your speed has since dropped so there may be another problem.

While your power connection doesn't sound good (and may need an engineer call to fix) it shouldn't affect things in the short term as the ONT has a battery backup.

Brian

LouB
Dabbler

I perhaps need to emphasize thst my connection isn't even running at the old speed- its way slower. It's running at between 0.1 and 0.6, when I was getting 2 on adsl.

I did originally ask(as OpenReach engineer suggested I should) for the adsl to be left on, as the engineer wasn't happy with the fibre connection ar the pole. That's now been fixed, and as the adsl connection no longer worked, i thought no more of it, and assumed the request had been ignored.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

While your power connection doesn't sound good (and may need an engineer call to fix) it shouldn't affect things in the short term as the ONT has a battery backup.

From what I've read, the BBU only serves to keep the phone service (FVA) working in the event of a power failure, not the Internet, which won't be applicable anyway as PN do not provide a FVA phone service.

bmc
Hero

@RobPN wrote:

From what I've read, the BBU only serves to keep the phone service (FVA) working in the event of a power failure, not the Internet, which won't be applicable anyway as PN do not provide a FVA phone service.

You may be right (I'm not technical enough to know) but I disagree. I pulled the following from the ONT datasheet I have

• Connect the BBU to the Power port on the ONT using the built-in power cable
• Connect the power adapter to the DC IN port on the BBU, then plug the power adapter into the power socket

The power source is connected to the BBU and then from the BBU to the ONT.

The ONT will keep working if there is a power cut. As it happens the internet service would go off simply because the router would have no power. I've just tested this by switching my ONT power off - then did a check for e-mail.

Brian

LouB
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler, please can you help get me a useable speed please.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.

We hadn't changed the account yet which is why your speeds haven't changed.

I've done this for you now and you should see a increase shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
LouB
Dabbler

I'm still not seeing any improvement. On the bt wholesale speed test, wired, i'm getting 0.61Mbps download, 8.43 upload, 26.25ms ping latency. When I click on further diagnostics, the checker says there's no fttp at this address.

Please can someone have another look.
Thanks
bmc
Hero

To run the Further Diagnostics you need your Service ID - ask PlusNet for it.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@LouB

Sorry, forgot to mention this earlier. Have you done a reset of the router?

Brian