Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer for FTTP trial

SamX
Dabbler

New customer for FTTP trial

Hi,

I would like to join the FTTP trial (not a broadband customer yet, but a mobile customer). I called the sales and they have no idea about how long it would take in my area to provide the connection.

I switched to Virgin from PlusNet when I moved into my new property because at the time, I had to take ADSL and wait for them to provide FTTP (a long wait I remember). It seems it is now possible to have FTTC first and wait for FTTH.

My question is: Can someone how long the wait would be now? Can someone here in the forum help me with the sign up process? It seems this is best option as the customer support has minimal knowledge of the FTTP.

[Edited]

24 REPLIES 24
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: New customer for FTTP trial

As far as I'm aware the FTTP trial is for PlusNet internet customers only. However, there is nothing to stop you switching from Virgin and getting ADSL from PlusNet, then immediately applying for the trial.

What do the DSL Checker results say for your phone number (post a screen image if you can)?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Because it's a trial the FTTP service is not integrated with the PlusNet back office systems so phone and live chat support staff know little if anything about FTTP.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums and back to Plusnet @SamX

To sign up onto FTTP you'll need a broadband account. Due to the way the online signup journey works, we can't sign up a fresh account onto FTTP I'm afraid.

You'll need to create an account on ADSL or FTTC. Assuming FTTC/VDSL is available at www.dslchecker.bt.com.

When your account goes live, you'll be able to start the process for FTTP. I'd recommend heading on over to trials.plus.net to raise a ticket to the appropriate team. It's worth noting that you'll need to make sure "WBC FTTP" is available.

Timescales to provide FTTP depend on engineer availability in area and the work required to your address.

Setting expectations, it can unfortunately take anywhere from a week to months.

But if you do decide to go ahead and once you've raised the ticket on the Trials page, please feel free to let us know over here and I'll be happy to keep an eye on your order for you.

Cheers,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SamX
Dabbler

Hi both,

Thanks very much for the quick response. I made up my mind to switch from Virgin, just wondering whether I need to keep it until I get the fast connection (FTTC to start with at least) and ADSL+FTTP.

It does show WBC FTTP (screenshot attached) for my address. I could not find my phone (Virgin/cable phone numbers are searchable I think), but used the address checker to locate my exact address (excluded from the screenshot for security).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From looking at your FTTC estimates, I’m actually a bit surprised that FTTP is available for your address. I’ve only ever seen it available for lines which are exchange only with no prospect of FTTC, or on long lines with very slow ADSL/FTTC speeds. But I’m happy for you. Smiley

I guess it depends what you use your Virgin connection for. On my own connection, my router syncs at about 54mps and I’ve got no problems with streaming or gaming with other people in the house doing similar things at the same time. Your estimates suggest you should receive at least 37mbps which isn’t terrible in my opinion. What sort of speeds do you get with Virgin at the moment?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It looks like you are in luck.

Not many people can get FTTC and FTTP in the same address.

Only you can say if you can live with ADSL or need the FTTC speeds shown until the FTTP service is implemented, but were it me I would be keeping the Virgin service until I was getting speeds I could live with. Costs running both services will no doubt have an influence.

SamX
Dabbler

Hi, Thanks a lot Smiley It's a relative new development in Cambridge. I have 100Mbps Virgin (on paper and get full speed for real :). BT shows the availability of Infinity upto 300Mbps in their product page.

However, Virgin have increased the price twice and trying to force a new all-included service contract which I don't really want. Also, I don't really want >100Mbps with BT/Virgin either. I do use it to copy large files to/from office for work-related stuff and deal with big data stuff.

I used to get >70Mbps (real speed) with Plusnet FTTC in my previous property and surprised to see the FTTC estimates for the current property to be at ~48-52Mbps. So, ~£30 for Plusnet Fibre Xtra is a good option (the same BT charges for the ~52Mbps). I thought the FTTP trial would offer speed close to their advertised max.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. FTTP speeds mimic the FTTC packages so for Unlimited Fibre Extra you’ll receive around 80mbps.

Something else I’d add. When your FTTP service is provisioned and the order is completed, you’ll be paying £19.99 Unlimited Fibre Extra (Or Unlimited Fibre 40mbps at £14.99) + £18.99 line rental.

But you can ask us over here to cease your phone line so you won’t need to pay line rental and instead just the fibre cost plus a broadband only surcharge of £2.50. Though to go down this route you’ll need to pay off the phone side of the contract, which (At £8.54 per month) works out cheaper than paying monthly line rental. Unless you sign up on a non-contract ADSL offer, where there’d be no early termination fees for the phone.

Probably worth weighing up the costs of keeping your Virgin service running until you’ve got fibre and the costs of signing up without a contract, against the costs of stopping your phone line.

Assuming of course you’re not wanting a landline phone service. Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

First time ever that I've seen FTTC and FTTP available at the same address.

Although Virgin appear to supply your phone service is it an OpenReach line or is it via the Virgin fibre link?

You need an OpenReach phone line to get Internet from PlusNet before you sign up to the trial.

Brian

Edit : should have added that the DSL results show a "2 stage" installation - this means two separate visits over a week apart.

SamX
Dabbler

@bmc: Virgin has an independent line - they claim this to be fibre Smiley but I guess this is only upto some cabinet in front of the house and then cable inside. This is independent of BT/OpenReach.

@Gandalf: Thanks again. I just have a few questions to understand this a bit.

Plusnet has £31.99 for FTTC fibre extra including line rental - as of today. I vaguely remember from last year that they charged the same FTTC and FTTH trial. Has it changed recently? £31.99 works out to be a bit cheaper than £19.99 + £18.99 line rental.

That said, I can give up my phone line as well. But this has a range of other issues with both contract and non-contract options to start with. I'll need to recalculate and see which one works out better.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

FTTP costs are based on the FTTC packages without any discounts.

But yeah if you’re ultimately not wanting a phone service then you’re best first weighing up your options as to how you’d like to sign up the account initially: non-contract or contracted.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Actually thinking about this more, I’d like to call you back to discuss another option which might end up being better.

If you’re around tomorrow, could you PM me your contact number and a best time (Ideally between 9 and 5:30)?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SamX
Dabbler

@Gandalf: Sorry, I had been travellnig and saw the message just now. Sure, I will PM you my number. I have been trying to estimate this in a different ways and have not gotten anywhere yet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@SamX You are unlikely to get a reply from @Gandalf for a while as he is now on his holidays down under until the end of the month.

SamX
Dabbler

@Mustrum: Unfortunate. It would be great if he explains me the option that he had/has in mind.