cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Ordered ADSL but FTTP activated in the meantime..

Pete_T
Dabbler

New customer - Ordered ADSL but FTTP activated in the meantime..

I signed up through a moneysavingexpert.com offer for Plusnet ADSL Broadband on 28/02/2018 after giving up waiting since last July for the promised FTTP to be activated locally. Sods law, today FTTP has appeared as available for my line at dslchecker.bt.com!

My ADSL activation date is this Thursday 15/03/2018 and my router has arrived today.

I called Plusnet customer service tonight and after a 35 minute wait I spoke with a helpful guy who explained that I could sign up for a FTTP trial once my service is active. This will cost me an additional £14.99 a month (minimum), on top of the £197.88 line rental saver already paid, making a grand total of £377.66 over my 12 month contract, equivalent to £31.48 per month. That didn't sound bad until I realised that if i'd been able to sign up for FTTP directly it would have only cost me £369.82 over an 18 month contract, equivalent to £20.55 per month.

I'm aware I can cancel as I'm within the 14 day period and I'm told I'll incur no costs, just need to return the router, howeverI'd prefer to not mess around and just stay with Plusnet and go straight onto the FTTP trial - what are the chances of the cheaper deal above being made available to me?

I should mention that both offers above take into account an identical £50 cashback offer.

The other alternative is cancel Plusnet and go with BT Infinity at an equivalent £18.38 per month on a 12 month deal (up to 52Mb) but this is a bit of a faff with £50 cashback and a £175 prepaid Mastercard to claim for....

Why can't these things be simple! Any advice appreciated....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

20 REPLIES 20
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: New customer - Ordered ADSL but FTTP activated in the meantime..

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Welcome to the community forums.

I've looked into this and unfortunately we'd have to wait until your service activates before you can sign up to the trial by heading on over to http://trials.plus.net

That didn't sound bad until I realised that if i'd been able to sign up for FTTP directly it would have only cost me £369.82 over an 18 month contract, equivalent to £20.55 per month.

Might I ask where you found out this info? The costs for our FTTP packages are: Unlimited Fibre (38mbps) for £14.99 per month, and Unlimited Fibre Extra (76mbps) for £19.99 per month, on top of line rental of £18.99 per month.

When your line rental saver runs out you'll have the option to cease your phone line and just pay the FTTP costs above, plus a broadband only surcharge of £2.50 (Assuming FTTP can be provided and work completed by our suppliers).

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were hoping for. Let us know if you have any questions.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

If you don't need your phone line, and are still within your cooling off period, it may be possible to cancel the Line Rental Saver, and just pay monthly until FTTP is activated and you could cancel your phone line altogether.

@Gandalf, would that be possible if it was helpful to the OP, or would that cause everything to be cancelled and started again?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pete_T
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf, I've worked those figures out using the offer on the MSE Broadband Unbundled site, I may have got it wrong of course.
Pete_T
Dabbler

That would be of interest to me, thanks, I wasn't aware it might be an option. @Gandalf is this something that could be arranged or would it be easier if I cancelled and started again from scratch.
Thanks .
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

You have to be a PlusNet customer before you sign up to the FTTP Trial so you have to have an internet service with PlusNet.

You might be able to  leave your phone line with your current provider (if you're out of contract) and sign up for PlusNet ADSL only (a £2.50 surcharge applies to internet only accounts). Once that's up and running apply for FTTP and then, when that's installed cancel your phone line.

Just to confirm - the DSL Checker says "WBC FTTP" is available for your line. Under the heading "install Process" does it say "1 stage" or  "2 stage" - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Pete_T

Can I call you back to discuss this further?

Ideally before 4pm. If so can you PM me the best contact number?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pete_T
Dabbler

Hi Brian, yes FTTP is showing as available and 1 stage, both as of yesterday.
Thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for your time on the phone @Pete_T

Sorry again for the complications. I've sent you an e-mail following our conversation.

I've taken ownership of this and you can reply to the ticket I've raised here if you need any help or have any queries.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pete_T
Dabbler

I'd just like to put on the record a very big thank you to Anoush, aka @Gandalf for his attention and assistance over the last couple of days, what a great ambassador for the brand! Smiley I now have Plusnet ADSL and have been accepted for the FTTP trial. Hopefully everything will go to plan now!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all. Cheers for the kind words and feedback. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pete_T
Dabbler

@Gandalf I updated the ticket a few minutes after you'd added to it earlier this evening. The install was aborted today due to a blocked duct unfortunately.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear the install didn’t go as smoothly as I’d hoped. I saw your response to the ticket just as I logged out for the day.

I’ll pick it up tomorrow once I’ve spoken with the FTTP team at Openreach for the next steps including a timeframe.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've just spoken to the FTTP team at Openreach. They've advised me that the extra work is scheduled to take place on Monday. Once this is complete we've been advised we'll need to re-book the appointment with you for the installation.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet