Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New activation: broadband connected but no internet

FIXED
peterseem
Hooked

New activation: broadband connected but no internet

Hello all,

My service was activated a couple of days ago (moving into a new home), but we still aren't able to get internet.  The router (a Two) is showing a blue disk, and the control panel says broadband is connected, but any device I connect to the WiFi is saying there's no internet access.

According to the router's control page, our public IP and gateway are assigned, but the primary and secondary DNS are 0.0.0.0.  The username is still setup@plusdsl.net.  Since that was the cause in other old posts, I did try chaing the username to my accouunt @plusdsl.net and my password, but the behaviour was the same -- the router believes it is connected to broadband but there's no access to the outside world.  From a connected device I can ping the gatway address but anything else (e.g. 8.8.8.8) fails.  Since that didnt help, I factory reset the router and reset the ONS, but neither have made any difference.

I'm also struggling to get support -- if I use the text service, it says it doesn't recognize my number.  If I use the broadband troubleshooter it shows my registered phone number as blank (we don't have landline service), and I try and proceed anyway it tells me to fill in a daytime and evening phone number, but doesn't give me anywhere to fill in that information!  I have filled in my contact details on my PlusNet profile, but there's no boxes there for daytime and evening numbers, either.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you all!

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: New activation: broadband connected but no internet

@peterseem  Have you received confirmation that the service is connected - from Plusnet. Have you tried rebooting the router?

John
peterseem
Hooked

@jab1, thanks for your response.  Yes on both counts.  PlusNet say activation completed two days ago.  I've power cycled the router numerous times, and factory reset it twice.

jab1
Legend

OK - sorry, but I had to ask. The only thing that is left from what you have posted above to consider is why the DNS fields have not picked up the PN servers, which they should have, and why you cannot connect.

Slightly out of my field so, @MisterW  , @Townman ?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Since the router didnt autoconfigure ( username remained as setup@plusdsl.net ) despite PN claiming that the account is activated, and changing the username manually didnt make any difference, I suspect that the BTwholesale circuit hasn't been built correctly. The connection isnt being routed to the Plusnet 'realm' , instead its terminating on the BTwholesale 'sandbox' realm. Hence the lack of DNS and internet access. We've seen one or two instances of this with FTTP and it seems to take some while to get it sorted. The problem is that everything looks ok from the Plusnet POV and so normal troubleshooting processes dont find the fault.

@peterseem Since its difficult for you to contact CS by telephone , hopefully a PN staffer will pick this thread up shortly

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

There are a couple of problems here - the key one is access to PlusNet's support desk if your number is not recognised.  I already have an escalation on this issue and will add this case to the discussion.

Can you confirm that you have green lights on the ONT?

When you manually put the account details into the router, does it indicate that it is connected - that is do you get the external IP address, gateway and DNS servers assigned?  See here Basic - Status (from a device connected to the router).

Screenshot_27-3-2024_9598_192.168.1.254.jpeg

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peterseem
Hooked

With my account credentials as the user/pass, the Plusnet Hub status is:

Broadband IP address is populated with a 10.XXX.XXX.XXX IP.  Default gateway is also populated with a 10.XXX.XXX.XX IP.  Primary DNS is 0.0.0.0, and Secondary DNS is 0.0.0.0.

That's the same if I leave it on the setup@ credentials.

Thanks for looking into this.

peterseem
Hooked

Sorry, I skipped your first question.

Yes, the power and PON (I think that's the label, I'm at work and doing this from memory) are both green on the ONT.

Thank you!

PS

jab1
Legend

With my limited knowledge, I think @MisterW has hit the nail on the head.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

In that case @MisterW 's observations apply.

I have added this case to the discussion on not being able to get past the IVR on the support desk.  You might try calling COTS and seek help via them...

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632 or 0800 079 1133(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Broadband IP address is populated with a 10.XXX.XXX.XXX IP.  Default gateway is also populated with a 10.XXX.XXX.XX IP.  Primary DNS is 0.0.0.0, and Secondary DNS is 0.0.0.0.

Yup, that more or less confirms the connection is getting terminated on the BTw realm.

peterseem
Hooked

Thank you all for your thoughts -- the is an impressively active forum.

I will be able to call PlusNet this evening -- my only hope was that if there is a back-end investigation needed, this might be picked up on by a member of staff so it can be kicked off this morning rather than tomorrow.  I'm not going to be a popular man if I tell my daughter's there's no internet for the long weekend...

Thanks again.

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

@peterseem I can see you've called in this morning, and the tests are showing home environment. An advisor is going to give you a call after 6pm as this is when you're due home. I'd do this myself, however, I'm finishing at 5.30pm myself.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I can see you've called in this morning, and the tests are showing home environment.

@ClaudiaG23 do you mean you believe the fault is in the home environment ?

I don't see how that can be the case when

That's the same if I leave it on the setup@ credentials.

when this is using a Plusnet supplied router which SHOULD autoconfigure, so its not a router configuration issue

peterseem
Hooked

@ClaudiaG23 since your advisor evidently won't be calling me tonight after all, I'll try and post more information.  Just to be clear, waiting until 6pm was only because PlusNet insisted I be next to the router in order to confirm that it was, in fact, plugged in correctly.  If what I have provided below is enough to escalate this, then I can discuss that at any time.

Please find below photos showing everything I've already described here:  The ONT is on, PON illuminated, and the connection is between ONT port 1 and the PlusNet Hub Two's WAN port.  The Hub is showing a blue light.  And as far as the hub is concerned it is connected to broadband, but without DNS assigned and, evidently, on a subnet that indicates it isn't being routed correclty by OpenReach (thank you @MisterW !).

If you still believe this is a configuration issue at this end, that it would be helpful to call at the scheduled time.

Thank you for yoru help with this.

ONT.pnghub back.pnghub front.pnghubstats_anon.png