cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trials - BT FTTP Alternative

stevenjenkinson

New Trials - BT FTTP Alternative

Hi,
Will soon be moving into a new build with FTTP, so looking around at the various providers. Not currently a Plusnet customer but was for a long time until a couple of years ago. Seems BT Retail offer the best package availability, but not much choice in other providers?
1. Are new customer trials still accepted?
2. What packages are available? (And specifically is there an alternative for the BT Retail 300/30 or 200/20 speeds?)
Hoping PN can come to the rescue here!  Undecided
Cheers
18 REPLIES 18
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New Trials - BT FTTP Alternative

Hi stevejenkinson
Well Plusnet only offer 2 speed profiles for FTTP.
These are 80/20 or 40/2 (yes that's 2 upstream) at the same price as the FTTC options.
Is your new build only FTTP or do you also get a copper phone line too? Reason I ask is that Plusnet do not offer Voice calls over fibre so if you have no phone line, you would need to set up a VOIP solution (that's how I get my phone line). BT Retail will offer voice over fibre although the monthly rental costs nearly  the same as a real phone line. It is called FVA (Fibre Voice Access) on BT's website.
And are you sure that the FTTP option on your new build is by BT plc as some building firms have partnered with specific FTTP providers and you have to use them as the fibres are not part of BT's empire.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Does FTTP show as available here yet?:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address
If so, are there any other options e.g. ADSL? These questions may be a bit simple, but would help me determine if the provision would just be an overnight switch on.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
stevenjenkinson

Hi
Yes, the development has both copper and fibre, and yes it is an Openreach new site. I believe that BT Retail are still provisioning copper voice where possible, and FVA is only being given to fibre only premises? Happy to be proved wrong of course, anything for innovation for me.
A little disappointing on the speeds, is this a business decision or a technical one and will this be changed? Was ideally looking for a product to take advantage of the capacity.
@MattyC - yes, ADSL2+ and ADSL Max, see below. Interested to know what dictates an easy switch on!

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate  0.5  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate  0.5  -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
MartyPop
Rising Star

Quote from: MattyC
Does FTTP show as available here yet?:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

I'm getting a "404 Not Found" on the above URL.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MartyPop
Rising Star

Thanks for that but after checking my phone number, I don't understand what "FTTP on Demand" means, see screenshot:
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It means that you can't afford it
MartyPop
Rising Star

Yeah right  Cry
stevenjenkinson

MattyC - Info provided above. PM me if you need further details. Thanks..
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

@Marty - We can't provide FTTPoD I'm afraid.
@Steven - We'd be able to get you online with FTTP. We only offer an 80/20 or 40/2 package, so if you are purely after speed then you'd be better off with BT, I think we're better on price, though don't quote me on it. It'd be £22.49 on FTTP only without voice.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
stevenjenkinson

Ok thanks Matty. Good to know it's a simple job, and that you don't have to take the phone service.
So just curious, why is there a 'trial' to deliver an 80/20 service over WBC FTTP? Other providers happily deliver 80/20 fibre regardless of whether FTTC or FTTP. Surely a 'trial' would be trialling the full 300/30 service, no?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: stevenjenkinson

Other providers happily deliver 80/20 fibre regardless of whether FTTC or FTTP.

Have you actually investigated that properly?  I think you'll find there are very few ISPs who'll actually provide an FTTP service - most don't.
stevenjenkinson

Quote from: RobPN

Have you actually investigated that properly?  I think you'll find there are very few ISPs who'll actually provide an FTTP service - most don't.

Yes. Plenty of properties served only by FTTP and Copper are mostly on fibre products with other providers. A small number are on ADSL2+. The cabinet is not FTTC enabled.
I'd love to see providers like PlusNet leading the field with the full choice of services, seems a waste of time encouraging developers and BTOR to spend extra cash on delivering ultrafast FTTP if ISP's don't provide an ultrafast service offering  Sad
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: stevenjenkinson
Yes. Plenty of properties served only by FTTP and Copper are mostly on fibre products with other providers. A small number are on ADSL2+. The cabinet is not FTTC enabled.

They must have deep pockets then  Huh Because apart from BT & the PN trial the only ones I have found are Zen, AAISP and Goscomb; I'm sure there must be other niche providers who will do it if you ask nicely and throw large amounts of money at them, but certainly not the "mainstream" providers. Who have they gone with?