Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Only Exchange

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

New Fibre Only Exchange

I wish I move to this area, lucky for these residential homes!  Tongue
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/10/bt-makes-progress-with-first-uk-fibre-only-broadband-tr...
I wish BT will do fibre only exchanges to all 5,600 exchanges in UK would be brilliant!
3 REPLIES 3
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New Fibre Only Exchange

Quote from: goldenadsl
I wish BT will do fibre only exchanges to all 5,600 exchanges in UK would be brilliant!

The statement that it will be a Fibre Only Broadband exchange seems to be at odds with the statement further down the article that:-
It’s noted that the new fibre optic solution will apparently sit alongside the old copper based service (i.e. locals don’t have to take the new products).

Its not clear from that if the old copper wires will still be left in place for customers who only need a phone line and don't want to replace their telephones (which FTTP makes necessary) or if the full range of slower but often cheaper copper wire broadband products will also still be available on this exchange for those who don't want to pay extra.  If so this would make it no different from other FTTP BT deployments such as imminently on my own exchange at Capel as one of the ten winners of the BT Race To Infinity.
I wonder if the key real difference with this exchange isn't perhaps that the people on the exchange have paid the extra cost of it being fully upgraded to fibre and FTTP nothing that BT Business seem to be involved in the loop on this one.
prichardson
Grafter

There have been a number of industry consultations on Deddington.
One of the goals is to remove all digital services on copper were an analogue voice service is supplied (i.e consumer voice, not ISDN). There are some exceptions whilst the industry works towards more mature solutions for other products though.
This is a Market 1 exchange and only has 20C right now. So there is a high probability that new sale of 20C services will be withdrawn at some point, leaving only fibre. This is very likely a long long way off though.
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: P
This is a Market 1 exchange and only has 20C right now. So there is a high probability that new sale of 20C services will be withdrawn at some point, leaving only fibre. This is very likely a long long way off though.

So the position is little different from Capel which is also a Market 1 exchange that until earlier in the year did not have BT 21CN Wholesale Broadband Connect or any LLU operators.  I suspect WBC'ng the Capel exchange was actually a first stage of the move to fibre enable it but TalkTalk's recent LLU installation action seems to have been independent and possibly because it is now finally starting to take an interest in LLU'ng the larger rural Market 1 exchanges like Capel.  Either that or it is a deliberate spoiler tactic by TalkTalk to undermine the value of BT's investment in connecting 80%+ of local households who want it via FTTP.  Clearly if TalkTalk's LLU copper service is much cheaper then BT may not get the takeup on its fibre investment that it was hoping for.