cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build House

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

New Build House

Has anyone had any experience getting FTTP in a new build house that already has Fibre fully installed into the house, I am in the process of buying a new build property and when I was going round the building site BT were there laying the fibre, they are installing every house with fibre into the property automatically and the network termination csp will be inside the property under the stairs next to the ONT.
Does anyone know how this affects install? I assume it's a bit easier but also not a standard install since from what I've read BT OR have to come along and run the fibre first.
Cheers!
15 REPLIES 15
Scottishlad79
Grafter

Re: New Build House

Hi Buntrob,
At the moment there are 2 different types of FTTP sites, "Brownfield" where there is an existing copper network and the fttp is being pulled into houses as and when ordered.
The second type is what it sounds like you have where its a fibre only network in new build estates, for this the fibre is generaly already blown into the CSP (in your case in the service cupboard under the stairs), when you decide to order your telephone/broadband service off a communications provider this should be highlighted as FTTP only and should trigger a job for openreach to attend your house and fit the optical NTE in your house, This is a bit like the openreach modem we are all used to seeing with FTTC instalations,
This nte gives 4 ethernet connections and 2 pstn connections which the openreach engineer can connect to the internal wiring of the house.
The only downside i see to having the CSP under the stairs is that its more than likley all your broadband kit will be fitted there unless your ok with either a fibre cable being stapled around your skirting and doorframes to a better location, or an ethernet cable. this isnt the best look in a new build house, so it may be worth while speaking to your builder to see if they have included provision for a cat 5 cable from this service cupboard to somewhere a little bit more suitable in the house.
If you have any questions about this feel free to drop me a pm
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Some of them are dead easy. We did one a few weeks ago where all we need to do was turn it on and the customer had 80Mbps the following morning. These are where the ONT has been installed when house/flat was built which sounds like what you're buying.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Scottishlad79
Grafter

Heres how it would look in the cupboard of your house with CSP, ONT and battery backup in it, just guessing here but since your from Glasgow id imagine this is the very houses your talking about as its the only estate to be live justnow 😉
Scottishlad79
Grafter

Heres how it would look in the cupboard of your house with CSP, ONT and battery backup in it, just guessing here but since your from Glasgow id imagine this is the very houses your talking about as its the only estate to be live justnow 😉
Scottishlad79
Grafter

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Yes this is the setup of the house I'm moving to and yes it's the athletes village! Thanks so much for the photo I never got a chance to take one when I was there!
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Any chance someone can help or explain FTTP setup to me as I'm struggling to find information. Moving in to a new build house with FTTP already installed and is the only provisioned connection in the estate. Photos above show the set up. Am I able to join the PN trial as a house move and what would be the max speed? Is the 330mb product available on PN?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Yeah you would be able to apply for the trial, and having the boxes already on the wall makes it a lot easier as we don't have to book an engineer we can just switch it on remotely and post you a router out. When you move house just raise a ticket via http://trials.plus.net let us know that you already have the BT Openreach ONT on the wall and we'll get it sorted for you. At the moment our FTTP products mirror our FTTC products so we offer up to 38Mbps and up to 76Mbps, we don't at the moment do the 330Mbps version.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
active8
Grafter

HI Dave (PN),
I am moving into a new build Persimmon estate this weekend which is FTTH only. The cabling is not yet in the service cupboard under the stairs but there is ducting there.
Is it possible to get on the FTTH Trial with Plusnet as your customer services say there is no trial and there is no way they can provide FTTH.
I requested a home move last Thursday and CS said I had 14 days to change my mind and if I wanted to cancel it would only cost me £30 to cease the connection however if I go past the 14 days and find that I can't get FTTC (which I now know I can't), I would have to pay £250 odd to pay off my contract as well as paying the £30 cease fee.
So can I go on the FTTH trial and not need to worry about having to pay that huge fee as my 14 days cooling off period ends a week tomorrow (Thursday 11th December).
Cheers
Chris
AndyH
Grafter

If it's a fibre only (i.e. no copper at all) estate, then getting a phone line might be tricky as Plusnet don't offer FVA (fibre voice access). Unless Plusnet could sort something out, you're pretty much stuck with BT Retail.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Active8,
Yes, please do apply. Just sign up at trials.plus.net and put in the information. We'll look into it and see what the options are, but it shouldn't be a problem getting you on the FTTP trial at your new house, we have some trialists in FTTP only areas.
Matt
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Cheers Dave will get it sorted and hopefully not need to leave PN!
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Hi there, just been informed via ticket that as my new house has an FTTP only connection I can't sign up for the trial as there's no voice product for it. I've not plugged a phone in to my landline for years and don't see that changing, it's also a bit contradictory to the post earlier by Matt.
Can you confirm if this is correct and I'll need to leave PN when I move in a couple of weeks?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Let me have a look at this. I'll update this post shortly.  Smiley

Right,
Please disregard what you hav been told. We can definitely provision it, that's not a problem. EDIT: By this I mean FTTP, not phone over fibre.
As you've already got an ONT in your property, theoretically it should be an overnight switch on as well.
In terms of charges, I will discuss this with you internally on a ticket correspondence if that's ok with you. I've just tried calling your mobile but unfortunately I was unable to get a response.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet