cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home - FTTP

venomizer

Moving home - FTTP

Hello,

I'm moving to a new flat shortly which I believe is FTTP enabled (WBC FTTP). There appears to also be a standard ADSL provision available, but not FTTC service.

What are my options for joining Plusnet and getting straight on the FTTP trial? Would I be able to sign up to your standard ADSL service and then request the FTTP trial? (I know that  an Openreach FTTP ONT is already installed at the property). How does pricing / contract length work when I switch to the FTTP trial? It appears my only other choice for broadband with a reasonable speed (i.e. better than the 5Mbps ADSL service) is to go with BT Retail or Zen, but I'm interested in what Plusnet have to offer.

Here are my details from BT's dslchecker:

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Moving home - FTTP

Hi @venomizer

First you must join as Plusnet ADSL broadband customer.

Then you can apply for the trial at http://trials.plus.net/ once the ADSL is up and running.

Plusnet only offer 2 speeds for FTTP, 40Mbps down/2Mbps up or 80Mbps down/20Mbps up. The prices are the same as their FTTC offerings. There is no minimum contract on the FTTP trial as such ( it is 30 days notice from either you or Plusnet to end the trial or your participation) but when you join Plusnet you would be subject to a minimum contract period for the phone and ADSL (so the ADSL minimum contract length would probably become the FTTP minimum term at a guess)

For more speed you would need to look elsewhere. There is a complete list of all FTTP providers at

Openreach Ultrafast fibre suppliers

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
venomizer

Thanks for your reply.

So i would sign up for normal ADSL and then instantly get transferred to the appropriate FTTC contract?

What happens if the trial ends and I'm still contracted to PN? Would i be forced on to the very low speed ADSL service since no FTTC is available at the property?
SpendLessTime
Hero

@venomizer

You would sign up and get the phone/ADSL installed.

Then apply for the trial.

Then someone at Plusnet would organise getting the FTTP line started again. There is no guaranteed times as the trial is only manned by a few select members of staff. But in the past, those people who have premises with an ONT already installed,  tend to get up and running quickly.

If the trial ended and was not replaced with a full commercial FTTP release(it's been going since 2010/11 BTW) and if you haven't gone past your phone line/ADSL minimum term contracts then yes I guess they could expect you to downgrade to ADSL. You agreed to a minimum term when you sign up for phone/ADSL and that is the service the Plusnet would guarantee to offer. Not the trial.

I cannot answer exactly what Plusnet would do as I'm a customer like yourself (I've been on the trial since 2013 and used Plusnet since 2009).

If you did join Plusnet then you would need to consider the length of the initial phone/ADSL contracts if you are worried about the possibility of the trial ending.

I'm well outside of any minimum contract so I could move with just 30 days notice so it doesn't worry me in the same way.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Of course, Plusnet will always accept the early termination money stipulated in the contracts if you did need to end the contract before the minimum term is reached. They are thoughtful that way.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Why not just choose the 'No Annual Contract' option?

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Even if you have to pay an installation charge for the phone line etc., remember there is no further installation fee for the FTTP service.

GJ_Beck

Good shout. I wanted FTTP for a move soon. Didnt know there was a pnet trial. Better sign up.