cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milton Keynes super-fast broadband roll-out extended

sohara

Milton Keynes super-fast broadband roll-out extended

http://www.freshbusinessthinking.com/news.php?CID=0&NID=11839&PGID=1
It seems that BT are coming back to provide a bit of infill to places that they missed out on the first sweep of Milton Keynes.
Has anyone heard anything about where BT plan to focus on? If Broughton Gate is mentioned, I would more than happily test out the new infrastructure!
Ta,
Steve
13 REPLIES 13
klyne
Grafter

Re: Milton Keynes super-fast broadband roll-out extended

Obviously excellent news for those that will now have a chance to get faster broadband but I somehow doubt it will get the north eastern corner of the City, no doubt Great Linford will be the wallflower again. I hope I am wrong. Be interesting when we get some information on what areas will benefit.
David
clarros

I am with you there David, especially as another long suffering Great Linford resident, but will keenly watch for developments.
Jane
mkdonspaul
Dabbler

Cheesy
I'll keep my fingers crossed that Broughton Gate is included....
Paul (within the Broughon Broadband doughnut....)
mkdonspaul
Dabbler

Let us of course hope that our broadband colleagues served by the Woburn Sands exchange are sorted out in the none too distant future.... Cry
garyw
Grafter

Yet another Great Linford resident here on super slow ADSL. Great news but I've heard promises like this before so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt but let's hope we finally get fibre optic broadband. I don't see why we shouldn't, there's clearly the demand for it in Milton Keynes, and especially in Great Linford, and we've certainly been waiting long enough.
klyne
Grafter

I think one of the reasons Great Linford has never been a priority is that there are few, if any, commercial premises so only domestic customers in the main. Like you I would have thought that Great Linford would get a pretty good take up and along with Woburn Sands has the worse speeds because we are so far from the exchange.
David
dick:quote
Espada

Really hoping that the Broughton Doughnut (wish I had trademarked that term  Smiley ) gets the full FTTP and given that the surrounding areas are all fully FTTP I would be surprised if it isn't especially given that the area is brand new and will have nice clear ducts so putting fibre in now will be easier than in 10-20 years time. That said we are talking OpenReach here so no idea what will actually happen.
As for Great Linford, we know that 10,000 are just going to get FTTC and being one of the older areas I expect it will get lumbered with that which is still a massive improvement over what they have now.
Which really just leaves Wavendon Gate on the Walnut Tree exchange, no mention has been made of BDUK with regard to Bradwell Abbey so this could just be a commercial decision by OR which would leave all that BDUK money to upgrading Woburn Sands exchange or moving Wavendon onto MK or BA.
garyw
Grafter

Quote from: klyne
I think one of the reasons Great Linford has never been a priority is that there are few, if any, commercial premises so only domestic customers in the main. Like you I would have thought that Great Linford would get a pretty good take up and along with Woburn Sands has the worse speeds because we are so far from the exchange.
David
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

Possibly but I can't think of many commercial premises, apart from the shops in the local centres, in any of the residential estates in MK including those already served by FTTP. I doubt that Loughton, Woughton on the Green or Willen, for instance, are hotbeds of trade and commerce. I suspect that those estates were chosen for the trial because they have relativity affluent residents and are on the East/West 'flight path' of the FTTP trial roll out. 
klyne
Grafter

I think what worries me is that BT have said the 95% of homes on the Bradwell Abbey exchange will have fast internet by the end 2012, will the 5% without be in Great Linford? I do wish BT would put more flesh on the bones by providing a detailed map. Perhaps too early for our chums here at Plus Net to have detailed information? I have my pen here ready to sign up for super fast broadband or even fast broadband Grin
David
Stuaz
Grafter

Would be nice also if BT upgraded the new estate of Newton Leys on the outskirts of MK.
I am connected to the "MK" exchange, which is FTTC enabled - shame that means very little when the cabinet isn't!! (One would think BT would put the proper cabinets in on new estates - you know to save them coming back....)
bert

Another disgruntled Great Linford resident. It's not good when you get better speeds on your mobile phone than your ADSL link?!
Can't be petition those commercial organisations over in Linford Wood to sort FTTC out for themselvs? Then we're just one short hop across Monks Way.
clarros

Quote from: klyne
David
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

David, there may be few commercial premises in Great Linford but my husband and I both work from home regularly and would be able to do so more frequently if the broadband speeds were improved.  This would cut down on both rail communting and car congestion!
Jane
klyne
Grafter

Jane
When I posed the question about lack of commercial premises in Great Linford direct to Bill Murphy, one of the big bosses at BT Openworld, he seemed to agree with me. I think there were other reasons why GL has been left behind. Its at the furthest point from Bradwell Abbey, so I imagine more expensive to cable. I am sure there are quite a few people who work from home and need a faster connection. Apparently take of faster broadband in MK has been a bit disappointing but I suspect the figures would shoot up if they installed it in Great Linford. BTW, is everyone posting about Great Linford a member of MKBAG (Milton Keynes Broadband Action Group) ?
David