cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Plusnet FTTP to other ISP using Openreach

James_H
Dabbler

Migrating from Plusnet FTTP to other ISP using Openreach

The time may now have come to leave the FTTP trial.  Nothing against Plusnet - the speed and performance have been consistent - but a slight increase in what I pay each month will get me on to the 160/30 tier, unavailable through PN at present.

I have managed to place an order elsewhere (BT).  This was not possible online when last trying last year or earlier this year, but there were additional screens in the order process where I could select that I have an existing FTTP connection in place.

My question is what notification I have to give Plusnet for leaving?  For a long time, there was no migration process for FTTP equivalent to in use for ADSL/FTTC.  Is this in place for FTTP now, at least where Openreach remains the network provider?  The BT email suggests it might be, while the ability to order online suggests things have progressed.

In case it makes any difference, I have a 4-port ONT with only port 1 active for PN.

Thanks, James

24 REPLIES 24
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Migrating from Plusnet FTTP to other ISP using Openreach

@James_H 

There is no "official" method for moving - FTTP is still in it's infancy and systems haven't caught up yet. Hopefully someone like @Gandalf will pick up on this and advise.

As you have a 4 port ONT you can in theory have two connections running - one from each ISP. PlusNet FTTP should be on a 30 day notice period.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@James_H  I have read on other forums that users have problems getting more than one FTTP service active on a four port ONT and that ISP's mistakenly say they can only supply FTTP on Port 1 even though the ordering system will allow other ports to be selected. This will probably mean that the Plusnet service has to be cancelled and a new BT service ordered so there is likely to be significant downtime because the cancellation has to complete before the new order can be placed.

FTTP migrations are not really happening yet.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@RealAleMadrid @James_H @bmc @Gandalf  That was my thoughts too on future service providers.

I'm not FFTTP, but if I took the plunge, I presume there is no turning back (and why would you?), and a new (or existing) ISP may discount as you're already just "plug and play" or have I totally misunderstood this concept?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Leapy  You haven't got FTTP yet so I am not sure why you think you may get a discount with an  ISP, apart from a possible new customer special offer and I've no idea what you mean by 'you're already just  "Plug and Play" Perhaps you could explain this in the context of receiving an FTTP service.😕

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Leapy 

As you would be new to FTTP an OR engineer visit would be required to run the fibre cable and install an ONT in your premises. You (or the engineer) then connect the ISP supplied router to the ONT via Ethernet

To switch provider I believe it is simply a system update on a computer at the OpenReach end. You would plug in the new router supplied by your new ISP or change your settings if using your own equipment.

Brian

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@bmc Thank you for the excellent walkthrough, understanding and explanation of the hypothetical business processes of FFTTP.

So, if you're FFTTP you would be all fibre to the router and the only copper would be any wiring your side of the router, such as your own LAN? Is there a fibre option for your LAN or is that unnecessary  because your fibre ISP signal is so good?

James_H
Dabbler

A couple of weeks after my switchover was due, I am still with Plusnet for now.

The posts above, and Gandalf as well, suggest that FTTP is manual, needing the old service cancelling by me before any new service can be set up.

However, BT Retail are insistent that there is now a gaining provider led system for FTTP - new for 2020 - so that in theory after ordering the product from them, they do all the legwork including dealing with the old provider cancellation.  They would do a takeover and in theory it should be a same day switchover, so I would have some dead time in the day and just need swap router or change router sign in settings afterwards.  Even with my 4 port ONT, they would not activate a spare port and want to stick to port 1.

This has not happened yet and is a mess.  I had cancelled the Plusnet (copper) phone some time ago.  Therefore, my order stated I have no line, so they would include a new Digital Voice VOIP service with new number.  This order became jammed as someone's systems (BT or Openreach) took this as needing to transfer the non-existent number from somewhere else.

The replacement order is also stuck.  While BT state it is put through as a takeover, Openreach want to override it and treat as a full new installation and held up because of capacity issues.  On calling BT about it, since they need to liaise with Openreach offline, I am promised a call back the next day but it never comes.  

Nothing is the fault of Plusnet here (as far as I know).  Just posting for those also thinking of a transfer given the more competitive deals now appearing for FTTP. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi James,

If BT can’t takeover your FTTP service (as far as I’m aware there’s still no gaining provider led process) or provide FTTP via an additional port on your ONT for one reason or another (possibly the capacity issue you’ve mentioned), if we cease your FTTP service then in theory that can be reactivated within 1 working day - Just going from experience what we can do at least (Although we’re not placing any more FTTP orders until if/when we bring out a full product)

Our notice period is 14 days when processing a cancellation request however this can be overridden and cancelled sooner if you’re happy to pay for the full 14 days nonetheless. 

It’s worth noting if you go down that route that while a service can normally be ceased within as little as 1 working day, this doesn’t ring true for FTTP as the minimum lead time to cease that is 5 working days which as far as I’ve seen and attempted, can’t be sped up in any way. 

I hope this helps. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@James_H  I am not surprised that your migration did not happen following my previous post in this thread. Interesting to hear that BT Retail think there is a gaining provider led migration path, unfortunately they can't make it work with either BT Wholesale or Openreach systems and it all ends up it a mess as you have experienced.

If they were using the ordering system properly a new service could be added on a second port on the ONT and all would be well, however the lack of a phone number seems to be a huge problem for the suppliers systems, it is a big factor in Plusnet not being able to offer a full FTTP service.

Hope you can get this sorted, as Gandalf says it looks like the existing service will have to be cancelled so there will be a delay before the BT FTTP can be activated.☹️

minted
Dabbler

Just to add to this post with a little additional info on the above.

BT cannot provide s service on a 4 port ONT on anything other than port 1.
This is because Multicast (which BT use for their TV services) only works on port 1 of a 4 port ONT.
Even if you have no intention of using BT TV they have their systems set up this way partly for this reason.

Sky seem to have the same limitation with their newly launched FTTP.
They may have plans to use Multicast in the future when they launch a dish free TV service or they just haven't bothered to make their ordering system compatible with the additional ports on the now no longer supplier 4 port ONT.

There are many other ISP's who can supply FTTP on the other 3 ports with no issues.
James_H
Dabbler

Interesting that BT are only set up to use port 1.  

Last week, Openreach were still having issues with the details they held for my property.  But then the order became cancelled without notice.

A new order was placed today by BT over the phone.  They are still of the belief that it can be a takeover of the port 1 connection from Plusnet.  A difference in this order is that it is not for digital voice and seems to be reinstating the copper landline.  The order went through at the time, but I did get a call back later as there is some Openreach database problem.  

Despite the fact that Openreach are providing me with FTTP at present, they need to get their records of my ONT updated in order to allow any order, which should be in the next few days.  We'll see where this order gets to.

James_H
Dabbler

Interestingly enough, this evening I received a "sorry to hear you're leaving us" email and SMS from Plusnet.  So perhaps the gaining provider led process is in place in some way.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I've read posts over on the ThinkBroadband forum by a rep of one of the smaller ISPs who provide FTTP that there is some sort of migration process but that most ISPs don't know / don't seem to understand it. 

James_H
Dabbler

The plot thickens.  I was informed by BT that the database issue is not resolved but should be by the end of this week.  I mentioned to BT about the Plusnet letter stating the transfer will be on 8 October, when BT scheduled it for the 7th.  Yet BT are of the view that with the database issue, they cannot physically place the transfer order, so really don't know how Plusnet know there is a transfer taking place.