cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower than expected speeds

dondavie
Dabbler

Lower than expected speeds

I joined the trial on Thursday 10th May. My previous profle was 40/10. I was getting speeds of 37Mb down and 7 Mb up. Now after 2 days my figures are 43/7. This, to me, doesn't appear to be enough.
I have rebooted the modem and router twice, to no avail. Do I need to write a ticket for someone to take a look at it?
Thanks for any help.
12 REPLIES 12
sjmartin60
Dabbler

Re: Lower than expected speeds

Dondavie, your speed are better than I get mid 20's down and 5.5 up, I would be happy to get your speeds
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That could be all you'll get, it mostly depends on distance from the cabinet. What does the BT Wholesale checker say your line is capable of?
dondavie
Dabbler

I am bumping this up in the hope that a PN Techie will see it.
I tried using the BT modem to computer method but got so far with the test failing due to an error code in the modem. Does this mean the modem won't be able to reach 80/20 speeds?
Look forward to hearing from PN on this.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dondavie,
Does this library article help at all? http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
I believe there's a section in there that deals with an error code popping up in windows 7.
wardie2437
Dabbler

I was told I would be placed on the trial over the weekend.
I was only connected to Fibre on Friday 11th May Undecided so I dont think the line has "settled down" properly yet as they say it cakes about ten days.
I have noticed that my download speed has not changed (maximum of 36Mb) BUT my upload speed changed today
went from 16-1700 (1.7Mb) to 12000 (12Mb).
I'm going to leave it a few days to see if things change and I have actually been put on the trial yet.
the BT line checker indicates my line could get speeds up to 72.2Mb.
davidcrocker
Dabbler

When I was switched to the 80/20 trial, I had to reboot the BT modem to get the higher download speed, even though my upload speed increased to 16Mbps without me doing anything.
dondavie
Dabbler

I used that link when I tried to connect directly from the modem to my pc before I posted my comment Should I put a ticket in about the modem?
dondavie
Dabbler

I am bumping this up for the 2nd time in the hope it will be picked up by a PN techie.
My line is consistently only running at 43mbps down and 7 up. I have tried using the direct modem to pc method but still get the error code.
Do I need to put a ticket in about the faulty modem, or is this the best that I can expect from 80/20 when I had 37/7 on 40/10?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dondavie,
Probably best to raise a fault in all honesty, you can do that at http://faults.plus.net - our team will pick that up and get it sorted for you.
dondavie
Dabbler

I tried running the BT test, from the instructions running the modem direct from the pc and changing to PPOE, but got an error code of 651. I tried using the other web links, after rejigging the modem back to normal usage and found that the tests gave figures comparable with the ones I have run previously. Shall I put a ticket in, as running the test will not run with this error code popping up?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hello dondavie,
Yes, I can see a ticket was raised by yourself yesterday but it looks like you need to go back to http://faults.plus.net to complete the rest of the questions. We'd always advise doing that or calling us on 0800 432 0200 as a first port of call.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dondavie
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply Adam. Appreciate your help.