Did you mean: 

Latest on FTTP?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Latest on FTTP?

I'm spoilt for choice. Openreach FTTP, Virgin FTTP or Hyperoptic 😎

Whilst the latter offers the higher upload (Gigabit symmetrical), it's not something I'd personally go anywhere near at the moment. I've lost count of the amount of times I see folk in the local community group grumble that it's down. It doesn't seem to fair well after a power cut either, takes hours to come back up whereas my OR FTTP is back immediately (or doesn't go down at all if it's short enough for the ONT battery backup to pick up the slack).

YMMV but doesn't fill me with much faith in the Hyperoptic infrastructure round these parts 😉

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

probedb
Rising Star

Had no problems with it myself nor does a friend who currently uses it, same as everything I guess.

Decided not to go with FTTP for now, don't download, don't stream much, my other half on Instagram is what uses the most data 😂

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@probedb I totally understand  and I was happy with FTTC and copper,  but, having that speed on tap is a gamechanger if you did want to use that extra speed. 🙂

I'm on BT 100 FTTP which is £30 for a guaranteed 100 down 20 up and this is my WIFI, so its always fast and never kicks out and reboots, but I know I can get better and £20, I'm off BT when my contract ends, early next year and my friend (and I), will get an EXTRA £100 EACH when I switch, so my actual cost will be even less for more.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 3.18.38 PM.png

probedb
Rising Star

So I finally took the plunge to be greeted with... 😂

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 12.22.02.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've just had a look and seems to be working this side. Can you give it another go?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
probedb
Rising Star

Strange, worked this time Smiley 

probedb
Rising Star

I there's a carry wrong on the email figures though:

Here's all the speed details you need to know.

Full Fibre 300 has an average speed of 300Mb download and 50Mb upload.

At peak times, we estimate that you'll get the following speeds on your line:
Download: 300 - 330Mb
Upload: 45 - 50Mb

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 165Mb.

Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is an important number, find out more about what it means in our guide.

Here are some additional off-peak speed estimates for your line
Maximum download speed: 0.33Mb, Maximum upload speed: 50Mb, Minimum upload speed: 45Mb

... off peak download 0.33Mb!? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@probedb wrote:

Strange, worked this time ‌Smiley

Glad to see that!

Well the 0.33mbps estimate will help to set expectations... but thanks for the heads up! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
probedb
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

@probedb wrote:

Strange, worked this time ‌Smiley

Glad to see that!

Well the 0.33mbps estimate will help to set expectations... but thanks for the heads up! Smiley

Lol, true 😅

probedb
Rising Star

Silly question but can I use the Hub 2 router with the existing setup before I get FF? Figured if I can get that sorted and working it's one less bit of faff on the day.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yeah, I had a hub2 on FTTC and used it for FTTP - just switched the cables which the installer should do for you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah you can do and I've just manually ordered the Hub Two for you so you'll get it well in advance of the FTTP installation, as opposed to receiving it 'last minute'. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You certainly can. The Hub 2 has a DSL port so just connect that to your existing Bt socket ( via a filter if neccessary ). When the FF connection is installed, just disconnect the DSL and connect the ONT via the supplied ethernet cable to the red WAN port on the Hub 2 

edit: seems like everyone else types faster than me

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

probedb
Rising Star

Woot! Thanks very much 😃

dgp
Rising Star

All you need to do is reboot the router once the FF is up and running. Mine was the Openreach engineer’s first Plusnet FF installation, so he wasn’t familiar with what needed doing and thought he needed to change the router settings. It seems some ISP’s routers require that. Luckily I’d done the same planning you’re doing.🙂