Kingswells FTTP

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Kingswells FTTP

Fantastic Smiley

All in all a happy bunny (at the second attempt!!!). Just my two neighbours to go now.

I think I've got one of them [159288196] in my personal ticket pool so I'll follow up after the visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Shouldn't that now be 9.5 up

I don't think the migrations to 40/10 have yet been completed.

Should be by the end of November.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I was thinking that as it was a new order it would be provisioned on 40/10 straight away ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We placed the order about a month ago Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

That would explain itSmiley

I thought that maybe FTTP had been forgotten about in the speed upgrade

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

First attempt at crimping an Ethernet cable has just ended in abject failure!!!. Time to call in a neighbour who does this sort of thing for a living. Using a back up 10m cable bought in error!!!

@MisterW

I couldn't care less about upload speed for the odd large file I upload. If it happens, it happens. Just happy with 37.97 down!!!!!!!

@Gandalf

Unfortunately my next door neighbour isn't until the 20th - she couldn't make an expedited date so had to take what was available. Haven't heard the date for "Pammy" across the street.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Oh well, life goes on.

My neighbour's second attempt at an install was today (ha ha!!!). Designated OpenReach engineer not in work. Assigned replacements were not equipped to do full install (they were expecting to fit the ONT with a fibre cable already in place).

Somehow they conjured up another appointment with their bosses tomorrow so we'll see what the new day brings!!!

Brian

bmc
Hero

Neighbour now a happy bunny.

At the third time of asking OR turned up with the right equipment and she's now up and running. On WiFi she had 37.6 down and 3 up.

Now to see what happens with my other neighbour in December.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Oh well, life goes on (deja vu!!!)

My other neighbour had an appointment for the end of next week after struggling to fine a suitable date due to work commitments. OpenReach have gone and changed it to the week before Christmas - when she's not available!!!

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Gandalf

Upload speed on wired connection still running at 2 (re-booted connection today before test). Other than a short outage not long after the install the connection has been rock solid with near 38 down / 2 up speeds. Any other disconnection has been me messing about with cables.

I believe my neighbour has maintained a reasonably consistent up speed of 2.9 / 3 on a WiFi connection from the beginning. Unfortunately I've not been able to organise a wired test as yet.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Gandalf

After tagging BD on another thread to see if I got a response I'm back here.

My neighbour just ran tests on her connection. On a laptop using WiFi she got around 16 down and 1.5 up. Switching to wired brought full speed of 38 down and 2 up (same as my wired connection). Back to WiFi returned her to the previous speed. Funnily enough trying her iPhone immediately afterwards gave 33 down and 3 up.

So it does appear we are both still on the "up to 2 service" (iPhone results not withstanding!!!).

Could somebody check please

Brian

JI
Hooked

Also pushing hard for an expedited install date if possible but that doest seem to be happening for now. 5/1/2018 seems a long wait. After waiting for fibre for nearly 2 years, being on 0.5mb (or less) and finally being told fttp was now available, I just want to get the install done asap. 

Can I even cancel my PSTN line after fttp is installed or must i keep it for fttp to run/work? I didn’t think so but not sure.

Ticket reference 163495811

bmc
Hero

As ever it depends on engineer availability. Mind you, my first date was missed due to shortage of parts. My neighbours second date was also missed due to an engineer being off work though luckily they were able to re-arrange for the following day.

Does the DSL Checker for your phone number say "1 stage" or "2 stage" for the FTTP install process. One stage requires only one visit (supposedly!!!).

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

You do not need a phone line for FTTP so it can be cancelled if not required. If you have a PlusNet line do it through this forum to avoid any problems. If you're still in contract for the phone line  there would be cancellation charges to pay. The internet service on it's own attracts a £2.50 surcharge.

Brian

JI
Hooked

Thanks @bmc
Plusnet Hub One Router just arrived 5 minutes ago and we only need 1 Stage according to DSL Checker.

It’s interesting about the phone line. One Plusnet advisor says it’s not possible to lose the line as fttp needs it (which I didn’t believe) and another says I can lose it. Contradictory.

bmc
Hero

@JI

As it's officially a "Trial" the FTTP service has not been integrated into the PlusNet back office systems and few staff have been trained up on the subject. If you phone or use Live Chat it's likely the advisor will know little if anything about FTTP. Support is only really though this forum.

You can't get PlusNet TV though you can get the BT Sport app for £5.00 a month.

You do not need a phone line for FTTP - I can assure you of this. My BT line was cancelled at the beginning of the month (30 days notice required). My neighbour's PlusNet line was cancelled overnight (she was out of contract). The only thing you have to watch out for is, if it's a PlusNet line, you arrange the cancellation through this forum. Do it on-line or on the phone there is just an outside chance that the accounts department treat the cancelled phone line as termination of service (as the system doesn't know better!!!).

Brian