Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep my phone number

FIXED
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Keep my phone number

Just had cause to speak to support regarding a different issue. At the end of that conversation I asked about keeping the number once the upgrade was complete.
His take on this was that my other phone provider will be able to take the phone number after the upgrade is complete.
That's twice now I've had advice from Plusnet support which is contrary to the more believable advice in the forum.

@FlossyThePig
Thanks for the link to the other thread, makes sad reading, what on earth is happening to Plusnet. 🙄

Emseedee
Hooked

Just had an online chat with a PN sales person, who said that if I upgrade from FTTC to FTTP I would be able to port my number to a VOIP provider "such as BT". Really not confident about this - perhaps it's best to wait a while until the upgrade process is a little more mature.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Emseedee That advisor was talking rubbish - if you switch to FTTP from FTTC with Plusnet, you (currently) lose your phone number, with no option to port it out. And BT do not offer a VoIP service anyway, except to their own customers.

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

What @jab1 said is true, they only do it for their own customers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Fix

Your scripts needs rewriting.

My Plusnet account was upgraded to full fibre on the 31/1/23
Once the upgrade was up and running and my landline was ripped out I applied to AAISP for them to port my landline number from Plusnet to their VoIP service.
I was told it would take about 7 days, today is the 7th day and my old landline number is working fine on VoIP.

Success!!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@npr  thats interesting. Looks like the landline service stayed active !

I wonder how long it remains active and if it is guaranteed or just it happened in your case.

Maybe its to do with the upcoming 'right to port' ( or maybe not ) 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

It is very interesting.

It's almost worth, if you're ambivalent about keeping your number, to attempt a port on the actual day of any

FTTC > FTTP upgrade. What have you got to lose  ? (apart from probably the port fee !)

between1and16ch
Grafter

This isn't going to work for everyone - but for those who are planning to switch in many months time it might be worth considering doing what we did, which was simply to open a VOIP account now and take your time to advise everyone relevant about your 'new phone number', so that by the time you drop the landline, no-one is calling you on it anyway.

Another suggestion is to use a Gigaset DECT IP base station like this one https://ligo.co.uk/siemens-gigaset-c570a-premium-voip-phone-single-handset ; because they were just picking up the same handsets to make and receive calls as they had been before, my family barely noticed the change when it happened (except to comment on how much better the sound quality is on the Sip (VOIP) line)

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Well, it's 03 April 2023 so what has PN done about the number porting issue? Perhaps one of the Plusnet Help Team could let us know.