cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious. How many of us FTTP folk out there?

f513toy
Grafter

Just curious. How many of us FTTP folk out there?

Hi,

Just cleaning up my email and spotted that I started on the FTTP trial back at the beginning of October 2010! Even though my profile says that I can get up to 300mb down, my actual is more like 70mb (40mb on wifi) which is still a whole lot better than the 2mb I used to get back then....

Since, after all these years, FTTP is still a trial, I was just curious how many of us are there out there.

And, by the way, I want to say thanks to the great support I have always got from the Plusnet guys..

6 REPLIES 6
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Just curious. How many of us FTTP folk out there?

Thanks for the nice words, we try to do as much as possible Smiley 

On a more personal note, as someone who spends a lot of time dealing with our FTTP accounts... I am jealous of you lucky people

David_W
Rising Star

Don't be jealous Darkfire, there are pros and cons to FTTP that FTTC people just don't get.  Limited options if we ever decide to leave, no access to PlusNet TV, if we live in a flat (like me) you have to spend months trying to get a wayleave in place so BT can do the work.  Pros are obvious, guaranteed speeds of 80Mb, which you could get if you were close enough to the cabinet anyhow.  Oh, and the ability to drop the phone and go VOIP.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@David_W wrote:

Pros are obvious, guaranteed speeds of 80Mb, which you could get if you were close enough to the cabinet anyhow.

I've seen @Darkfire's speed test results. He has nothing to be jealous about with his connection that's running considerably more than 1 FTTC connection Roll_eyesGrinLips_are_sealed

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
David_W
Rising Star

Can you do channel bonding on FTTx, like in the olden days with ISDN?  That would be awesome, the modem thing has 4 ports, all 4 ports in use for 1.2Gb internet Cheesy  I'd happily sign up for a trial to that *coff*

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

We can't from our side however you could very easily bond multiple connections yourself using something like PfSense if you had multiple connections enabled, at the moment we won't enable more than one connection on the ONT during our trial but each one can handle the 330Mb speeds without an issue if things were to change.

I currently have a few Plusnet FTTC lines and a Virgin cable line bonded in PfSense and I'm pulling around 500Mb download on my end, a proof of concept for myself really, works like a charm, I can force certain services to use a dedicated line for keeping them on a static IP etc Smiley 

David_W
Rising Star

I actually do have two connections, a 300Mb and an 80Mb, which got me curious.  My router supports dual wan, load balance or fail over.  Load Balance would be good, if both were 300Mb, as it is it only300/80 I only get 75Mb, turn it to fail and it's back to 300Mb with my normal line as a backup, which is actually good, it was just sitting there doing nothing Cheesy