Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this the Best Place to Ask

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Is this the Best Place to Ask

Well, I've now been informed that other than being part or some sort of test programme, Plusnet are unable able to provide me with a service using my newly-available FTTP option - so who is offering the best deal? I expect it's going to difficult to separate out the FTTP providers from the FTTC ones as they all seem to be bundled together, but there you go. 

I'll be sad to leave them but what other option to I have if I want leave my copper coated 5mbps behind and enter to world of high speed fibre optic.

On standby for advice whilst I do some searching on the internet Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is this the Best Place to Ask

the "test program" is a trial accessed here https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20 and you can see from the posts on the FTTP board it is relatively problem free https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/bd-p/FTTPtrial

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe stating the obvious here @Minivanman but can't you ask to join the trial? It would appear that people are still getting added, and you'd be an ideal candidate.

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks @Anonymous and yes, I have tried but no luck so far.

Must try harder perhaps Crazy2

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Oldjim
Resting Legend

i suggest posting in the trial board as the tickets are only looked at infrequently

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks @Oldjim, trying to do via chat at the moment Thumbs_Up

PS. Seems it's now gone through thanks to chat so now wait to hear.

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman  It's not clear to me what you're referring to when you say "Seems it's now gone through thanks to chat", unless you mean the chat agent told you how to submit the normally required 'ticket'.

I know you find some things hard to believe regarding FTTP Wink but if that's not what you mean then be prepared to be told again to submit the ticket at the link Oldjim gave in Message 2 above.  If you haven't already done so, the best way is the official 'tried and tested' method, i.e. what Oldjim described in his reply.

If you do start a thread in the FTTP section a good tip to possibly get quicker attention, is to direct any questions you have to one of the PN 'FTTP' staff members by name (with the @ symbol included) as that way they'll get the usual notification that someone has mentioned their name.

In the meantime it might be a good idea to have a read of the info on the FTTP trial page and some of the threads in the FTTP section to familiarise yourself with the possible scenarios, delays in responding to tickets etc.

Hopefully you will get a quick response and be up and running in a couple of weeks, and I can assure you any delays (missed BTOR/subcontractor appointments anyone?) will be worth putting up with for the final result! Smiley

It's great being one of the lucky 1-2%, no more SNR margins, REIN problems etc.!

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks @RobPN but I have been through that route and have of course been on the FTTP section here but it would not process my application as it could not proceed beyond the request for my mobile number. Indeed, and as said I think, even the guy on 'chat' was flummoxed by it when he tried and had to go for advice following which I was told it had now been submitted on my behalf and that I would be getting a yay or nay email in a few days.   

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I doubt very much if it will be a "nay"!  Smiley

I've seen somewhere (probably this FTTP section) where somebody couldn't proceed because of the missing mobile phone number you mentioned, and a workaround was suggested but I can't remember what it was.

Presumably there will now be a 'FTTP trial application' ticket open on your account of which you could copy the ID number to this thread, which then might get a quicker response if you direct it to one of the 'FTTP' staff as suggested earlier.  Wink

Good luck!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Minivanman

There is a complete list of all FTTP providers at

Openreach Ultrafast fibre suppliers

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Minivanman wrote:

it would not process my application as it could not proceed beyond the request for my mobile number. Indeed

Unfortunately this seems to be related to a problem I've flagged up in the past, that I've not heard back on in some time. I'll ask some questions about this...

@RobPN wrote:

I've seen somewhere (probably this FTTP section) where somebody couldn't proceed because of the missing mobile phone number you mentioned, and a workaround was suggested but I can't remember what it was.

I think that might have been me, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I simply suggested unchecking the box that says "Receive updates via text messages" as that box doesn't seem to like 074 numbers.

@Minivanman wrote:

I was told it had now been submitted on my behalf and that I would be getting a yay or nay email in a few days.   

Not quite as they've not taken down any of your answers to the points requested on the trial page.

I've responded to the ticket, give me a nudge once you've provided answers to the 5 points and I'll get an order placed for you Thumbs_Up

@RobPN wrote:

I doubt very much if it will be a "nay"!  Smiley

Pretty much.

It's basically a yay as long as dsl checker looks like this:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

Which it does Cheesy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend

So what do I do @HarryB, apply again?

I also tried unchecking that box along with other things but all to no avail and also, my mobile was an 078 number and not an 074 one. 

Herman Melville
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Minivanman wrote:

So what do I do @HarryB, apply again?

Sorry, I should have linked back to the ticket on my previous reply.

I just need you to reply to the ticket on your account Here.

@Minivanman wrote:
my mobile was an 078 number and not an 074 one. 

Strange, maybe it's not the same as what I thought it was. Either way I'll try and have a look in to it/flag it up with the relevant people to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Fix

go to the ticket here and you should able to provide the information requested https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html

Minivanman
Legend

@HarryB

Thanks Harry, have now responded as requested so hopefully all will proceed.

What a kerfuffle eh? Smiley 

Herman Melville