cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a "settling in" period for a new FTTP connection

Danwar94

Is there a "settling in" period for a new FTTP connection

Does FTTP have a settling in period, I have read online that this only really applies to FTTC? I have had full fibre 500 installed today, when doing an initial WiFi test I was getting speeds of around 400mbs and now I'm getting around 40-50 a few hours later, I'm using the smart hub 2 provided by Plusnet.
13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Is there a "settling in" period for a new FTTP connection

@Danwar94 Full Fibre does not have a 'settling in' period, but your experience is not dissimilar to many others when they move to FF.

I would call PN and let them know of your problem.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

@Danwar94 

Does FTTP have a settling in period,

In a word, No!

an initial WiFi test I was getting speeds of around 400mbs and now I'm getting around 40-50 a few hours later,

Is your device now connected to the 2.4ghz band rather than the 5ghz one ?

5ghz will max out around 350-400Mb whereas 2.4ghz is around 50Mb

The only real way of determining if there's a problem with the FTTP connection itself is to to a wired test, connected via ethernet to the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Danwar94

I have phoned them and they have advised of the settling in period hence my post on here for advice Smiley
Danwar94

How do I know which band I'm connected to? There is only one wifi option which is my Plusnet router and it says 2.4/5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

There is only one wifi option which is my Plusnet router and it says 2.4/5

Yes, the Hub 2 is a dual band router with a common SSID. I believe the Hub 2 'Network status' will show which devices are connected to each band. (sorry I dont have my Hub 2 connected at the moment so can't give details on how to get to that screen )

Also most wifi devices will have some option to specify a preference for 5g or 2.4g.

The problem with dual band is that 5g is limited in range , so when moving away from the router, a device may disconnect from 5g and connect to 2.4g because the signal is better. Sometimes they are reluctant to reconnect back to 5g even when moving closer again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

Connected device can be viewed here http://192.168.1.254/basic_-_my_devices.htm (this assumes connected to your home network)

Danwar94

Thanks for everyone's input, it seems that my phone is switching channels and then being capped around 40mbps, when I turn WiFi off and back on my device it picks up the 400+mbs channel, any ways around this?Huh
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Danwar94 

Is it possible to run a test with a wired connection to check your speeds? WiFi tests are not good as the problem could be with your equipment and not the speed being received by the router.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Danwar94 

it seems that my phone is switching channels and then being capped around 40mbps, when I turn WiFi off and back on my device it picks up the 400+mbs channel, any ways around this?

If all of your devices can use 5ghz wifi, then you could try disabling the 2.4ghz band on the Hub 2 . That will, of course, stop devices reconnecting to 2.4ghz but what effect that will have when devices move too far away from the router to get a good 5ghz signal ? well you need to experiment to see what happens...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

@Danwar94 

On the Hub two it is possible to see the signal strength of a wireless device has connected at.

Navigate from the home page Home >Advanced settings >Technical log >Event log

At the time a wireless connection is made you should see something like

16:08:15, 09 Jan. 5G Client associate from b8:3e:59:c4:d0:0f (IP address of the device) RSSI=-71, Rate=130Mbps, host
16:30:25, 09 Jan. 5G Client associate from 0c:c4:13:40:13:63 (IP address of the device) RSSI=-66, Rate=780Mbps, host Pixel-7-Pro
or 
16:00:07, 09 Jan. 2.4G Client associate from f8:30:02:27:93:6a (IP Address of the device) RSSI=-37, Rate=72Mbps, host

The smaller the RSSI reading the strong the signal.

HTH

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to  Full Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@MisterW wrote:

@Danwar94 

Does FTTP have a settling in period,

In a word, No!

From an e-mail Pnet sent me. Product provided -  FTTP 300Mbps.

"Account Username: <redacted>

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range. Now that your Full Fibre 300 broadband has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated peak time speeds:
Download: 300 - 330Mb
Upload: 45 - 50Mb
These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.
Current line speed: 330Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 165Mb
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

Line speed is dependent on:

• How near you live to the exchange

• The length and quality of the telephone line to your home (this can be affected by poor weather as well)

Other factors which can affect your speed:

• The time of day. In other words how busy our network and the Internet are (8-10pm being the busiest time, when speeds can reduce significantly)

• The length and quality of any phone wiring extensions in your home

• Whether you're sharing your connection with other people or devices in your home

Take a look at the tips in our broadband speed guide to get the most out of your connection.

Best wishes,

The Plusnet Team
www.plus.net"

I found the references to "length and quality of any phone wiring extensions in your home" to be quite quaint.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@greygit1  It is perfectly obvious that the email from Plusnet has never been updated to take changes that FTTP introduces to a connection into account. So for FTTP it is mostly nonsense.