cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a FTTP (trial) negotiated discount still possible?

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Is a FTTP (trial) negotiated discount still possible?

Hi @Gandalf / @Anoush 

As subject, I'm wondering if it's still possible to negotiate a discount as I have done successfully for the past couple of years following your advice to do so in the absence of us FTTP trialists being able to contract?

Using your previous advice in this post (as a reminder/starting point for you) I've now phoned Customer Options twice to attempt this, but failed both times due to staff seemingly misunderstanding (I've even quoted your name).  On the second occasion I was told that if I wanted to get anywhere I'd have to re-contract and move my phone line to PlusNet!  I explained that I can't contract and I don't need a phone line for FTTP but he was insistent that that was the way forward.

Perhaps you could clarify whether this is still possible please, and if so, maybe put some sort of ticket info on my account to verify this in case I need to call them again?

TIA

18 REPLIES 18
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Is a FTTP (trial) negotiated discount still possible?

Hi @RobPN 

I'm really sorry for the confusion.

I'm afraid it was never a concrete process to apply discounts for those on the FTTP trial. When you joined the trial you'd have agreed to the out of contract pricing, to the terms of the trial explained here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/fttp-terms/ and that we wouldn't be able to recontract you for as long as you're a trial member.

If you were re-contracted previously, this would've been an error. I know that historically during 2019 we could apply discounts, but that's no longer the case. Also, we've stopped selling broadband only packages a while ago, so even if you weren't on FTTP you wouldn't be able to recontract or have discounts applied to your monthly cost.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for your reply @Gandalf , and yes I understand it's not possible to 're-contract' on the FTTP trial as no contract exists in the first place!

But in the past, bearing in mind you've advised us to call Customer Options to negotiate a discount, which is what I did in 2019 and 2020, and I believe at least one of those occasions was after the date you stopped selling broadband only packages.

I refer you to your first sentence from the linked post in my OP;

@Gandalf wrote:

As a development to this, I've recently got some clarification that we shouldn't recontract FTTP customers, however we are able to provide a discount if appropriate/in line with our retentions processes.

So, to clarify, I'm not trying to (and didn't on the previous two occasions) 're-contract', but I'm left wondering why the retention process doesn't apply in this case, i.e. offer me the said discount to retain my custom (which I guess is what 'retentions' is all about)?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobPN wrote:

I understand it's not possible to 're-contract' on the FTTP trial as no contract exists in the first place!

That's not strictly the reason though as it is possible to recontract a combined ADSL/FTTC and phone package when you're out of contract. Plus, being out of contract doesn't mean you're not bound by a contract, as technically it'd be a contract with no minimum term period apart from 14 days notice we'd need if you were to leave us.

Having said that, I may be picking hairs here ^

@RobPN wrote:

But in the past, bearing in mind you've advised us to call Customer Options to negotiate a discount, which is what I did in 2019 and 2020, and I believe at least one of those occasions was after the date you stopped selling broadband only packages.

I refer you to your first sentence from the linked post in my OP;

@Gandalf wrote:

As a development to this, I've recently got some clarification that we shouldn't recontract FTTP customers, however we are able to provide a discount if appropriate/in line with our retentions processes.

So, to clarify, I'm not trying to (and didn't on the previous two occasions) 're-contract', but I'm left wondering why the retention process doesn't apply in this case, i.e. offer me the said discount to retain my custom (which I guess is what 'retentions' is all about)?

The important part of that quote is "if appropriate/in line with our retentions processes" and when I said that, it was before we discontinued broadband only packages on 03/12/2019 and as far as I'm aware we've never had a retention policy specifically for FTTP, so if we applied discounts following then, it wouldn't have been in line with process.

For the most part from what I've seen during my time here, a minimum term and/or discounts were added by advisers going outside of actual process. At one point we could apply discounts if we in error provided you with an offer in a pricing refresh email, but that's no longer the case because we don't offer broadband only packages anymore. 

I hope this helps. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@RobPN 

With Plusnet preparing to launch a proper FTTP product in the future I would guess that there’s little incentive to retain those on the trial. BT are offering Black Friday deals at the moment.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

The important part of that quote is "if appropriate/in line with our retentions processes" and when I said that, it was before we discontinued broadband only packages on 03/12/2019 and as far as I'm aware we've never had a retention policy specifically for FTTP, so if we applied discounts following then, it wouldn't have been in line with process.

For the most part from what I've seen during my time here, a minimum term and/or discounts were added by advisers going outside of actual process. At one point we could apply discounts if we in error provided you with an offer in a pricing refresh email, but that's no longer the case because we don't offer broadband only packages anymore. 

I hope this helps. Smiley

Thinking about it some more @Gandalf , (and maybe nit-picking myself Smiley) ISTR you first looked into this for us FTTP trialists because it was deemed unfair that we couldn't take advantage of the offers which were being made to those on FTTC as we couldn't 're-contract' like they can.

But thanks again for your replies, and if nothing can be done I guess I'll just have to hang around and wait for that 'imminent' Roll_eyes announcement we're expecting about a proper PN FTTP product and see how the land lies price-wise.

Thumbs_Up

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@RobPN 

With Plusnet preparing to launch a proper FTTP product in the future I would guess that there’s little incentive to retain those on the trial. BT are offering Black Friday deals at the moment.

@Baldrick1 

True, sort of, as long as those on the trial don't up sticks in the meantime.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me @RobPN 

No problem, it was actually one of my former colleagues who tried to champion the idea we should offer those on the FTTP trial the opportunity to recontract. The thinking behind this was that the terms say you can't recontract, but don't mention the home phone side, so it somewhat became the norm for us to arrange for an adviser to do this. 

However that never made it to standard process and while a great experience for some, not so much for others.

Personally, I'd say it set the wrong expectations and not to mention when we revamped our billing system, the workarounds we used to do for those on the trial were largely no longer viable due to system functionality. 

Aye, let's see what we can come up with FTTP product-wise... Tongue Hopefully you'll stick around until at least then! Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

"Aye, let's see what we can come up with FTTP product-wise... Tongue Hopefully you'll stick around until at least then! Smiley"

I'm really hoping full fibre comes soon! I've been with PN for 15+ years and I'm still paying £36/m for 13mb downloads.

I've avoided renewing my contract at a lower price* because I don't want to commit to 18 months when FTTP has been rumoured for so long. I've never been able to get confirmation that the contract could be switched due to lack of info on FTTP.

I could have done the trial as we've had FTTP cables for 4-5 years but was never told about the trial until later one of you guys said I could have done it.

*Lower price is now £23 in line with new customers but previous to this year you refused it

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't remember if we publicised the trial as it was a very long time ago, however this trial board has always been here and signing up was only done online (trials.plus.net). Anyway that's a little moot now as many moons have passed. Smiley

If you renew your contract and you'd like to upgrade to FTTP we'll allow you to leave your existing contract without termination fees, if you move to BT or EE for the service. We'd though just ask you call us on 0800 013 2632 to arrange. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, I've just got an email offering me unlimited fibre massively cheaper!

Does the same apply for your own FTTP/full fibre if I join a new contract at £21. I know PN are planning full fibre soon but no definite date yet. I've avoided a new contract and paid probably £200+ extra over th elast couple of years thinking PN would go FTTP when EE/BT did.

So I'm now keen to continue waiting as it won't be long likely, so if I start a new 18m fibre contract can I also jump onto your FTTP/full fibre when it's available? I'd imagine so if you allow BT/EE.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @ukguy1

I'd assume not, as discounts are associated with the broadband product that you're on, though I'd suggest giving our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 to discuss this further. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Well it would be abit weird to let someone leave to EE or BT but not to your own product!

That's exactly the reason why I don't believe anything I'm told then.

Or incase you misunderstood, I didn't say I wanted to move to FTTP at the discounted price (as that's for FTTC)

I was asking if I could reduce my price for now but to do that I'd need an 18 month contract....

So if FTTP became available in the next few months, could I switch even though I'm in a FTTC contract. I'd imagine the answer should be yes if you are allowing switches to BT and EE! Obviously the FTTP would be at the FTTP price.

All this is exactly why I"ve stayed paying £36/m non contract as noone ever gives a straight answer.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ukguy1  So you are out of a minimum term contract on FTTC, is that correct? Why have you not re-contracted previously, even if you are in contract when Plusnet eventually offer FTTP you can switch to a new contract at whatever price you can negotiate and your old FTTC contract would be written off. Is FTTP available at your premises, if it is and you want it then you can migrate to BT or EE immediately with no penalties but you wouldn't have any as you are out of contract.🤔 

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Yes out of contract for 4 years paying over £30, until now PN would not reduce my price below £27 even on a new contract so I stayed out of contract.

We had FTTP 5 years ago but was never told about the trial even when complaining about paying over £30 for 13mb downloads.

I've never got a straight answer on whether if I did sign up for another contract I could switch to EE, BT or PN's own FTP when available... until this forum now.

18 months ago started to see FTTP providers appearing... so I've been watching.

I rely on our static ip so I'm keen to stay with PN, hence not jumping to EE or BT this year. As PN will soon likely offer FTTP I'd may as well now just wait.

It's just very annoying:

1 - That until now they've never offered me a discount down to new customer prices

2 - Never confirmed properly that existing customers in contract can move to FTTP (with PN when available or EE/BT)

So I've paid out probably £300 more than I should!