cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irratic speed and connection on FTTP - Anyone know a reason

Sbcs37

Irratic speed and connection on FTTP - Anyone know a reason

Hi
Have been on FTTP trial on Bradwell Abbey. Broadly speaking service is very good but every so often the speed seems to drop from around 80 to 60 ish for a few weeks and then picks up again for a while. More worrying is that fact occasionally the connection drops - by that I do not mean the line drops and IP address changes just that no data seems to be being transmitted - everything seems to stop. I have even seen it when I have been doing a speedtest - the needle stops moving for a few seconds and the graph plot drops to zero and then suddenly it starts again. seems very peculiar.
Any ideas anyone?
4 REPLIES 4
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Irratic speed and connection on FTTP - Anyone know a reason

Hi
I've been on the FTTP trial on Bradwell Abbey for 2 years and have never experienced anything like that, so I'm afraid I can't help with the line dropping problem.
In terms of speed, 2 years ago I was getting 90+Mbps download speeds but these days I'm lucky if I get 80Mbps, seems to be averaging out at about 75Mbps. Still, it's miles better than the 2.4Mbps that I had on ADSL!  Smiley
Upload speeds have been consistent at 15Mbps.
Cheers
Sbcs37

Thanks for your response Howard. I have only been on FTTP for a year. I also had 90 once, the rest o the time had been the lower 80s, apart from the issue that I mentioned. The upload as mentioned by yourself is absolutely consistent at 15. I agree that what we have now is infinitely better that the ADSL  Smiley :)that we had.
Cheers
Smiley 
AndyH
Grafter

I'd be interested for people in MK on Bradwell Abbey on FTTP (with different ISPs) to compare their speed test results. I heard some BT Infinity people were getting mid-90s on the 100/15 product before it was upgraded.
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

OK, I just asked a mate who has FTTP from Bradwell Abbey with BT for free to run a Speedtest and he got 104.33Mbps down and 13.33Mbps up!
He gets it for free because he is trialling telephone over fibre for BT.