Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed, couple of questions

coolj
Dabbler

Installed, couple of questions

Hi,
BT finalised the install of FTTP on Friday, and I see my profile has been changed to 37Mb.  Current speeds are around 34Mbps download, 15Mbps upload.  So, questions:
1) Should the BT engineer have connected the ONT to my master socket?  Unless they did it in the box outside, this wasn't done.  I'm in Milton Keynes, and the phone line from the street, and thus the fibre, both come into a panel on the outside of the house.
2) For some reason I had it in my head that I could expect speeds upto 100Mbps down and 30Mbps up - am I limited to what I'm experiencing now?
I'm going to provide feedback on the forum on my (good) experience once I've got the full picture.
Thanks
Andrew
3 REPLIES 3
Epyon
Grafter

Re: Installed, couple of questions

Maybe give it a few days to sort the IP profile out assuming the system is still the same as older DSL.
keeps54
Grafter

If you're on FTTP then your profile should be 92Mb, not 37Mb (that's for FTTC).
Your master socket isn't involved with fibre as that is all copper. A new fibre cable was run to your house to the metal box on the wall. He then came out this on the outside of your house and fitted a box on the outside wall (I forget what this was called). Then he runs fibre from that box back into the house and the ONT converts the fibre to copper.
coolj
Dabbler

Thanks.  The reason I mentioned the connection to the master socket was because I read that would happen in one of the FAQs or guides with the intention that the ONT might be used for voice calls in the future.  What you have described is exactly what has been done.
So....who from Plusnet reading these boards can advise about the proper profile setting as it is still set at 37Mb?