cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Stuck After Fault Report

SuperZoom
Grafter

IP Profile Stuck After Fault Report

My ThinkBroadband ping graph turned out to have been showing some packet loss at peak times since 18th May, becoming significant and sustained from 23rd May.
It seemed likely to be a BT problem, so eventually I raised a ticket using the fault reporting tool. Based on past experience, it appears to be hard for PN to raise an issue with BTw unless you do that, even though there is no line fault with the FTTP itself and none of the questions presented are actually relevant, so I figured just go straight for that.
I now wish I hadn't, however, and had just posted on here instead. Nothing needed doing to my line (which was actually mostly idle) - I was just letting PN know about a possible network problem.
I raised the ticket on 28th May, but, as it happened, the packet loss stopped after 30th May, seemingly without any intervention from PN, since they hadn't contacted me by then. (Who knows what the cause was - possibly technical, possibly a capacity issue with Bank Holiday and Half Term?... There are still some unexplained patches of higher maximum latency popping up at strange times, but the packet loss is gone.)
What has now happened, though, apparently after someone from tech support finally picked up the ticket yesterday (2nd June) and ran some line tests, is that my PlusNet IP Profile has dropped to 5.6Mb!
That's quite a drop from 100Mb. It's about what I was getting on ADSL - which may be where it has come from?
I updated the ticket yesterday, pretty promptly after I received a text message, to point out the problem and also that the packet loss had resolved itself already, but 24 hours on the profile still hadn't been corrected. So I called tech support this morning... but it still hasn't been corrected...
Is it at all possible that someone from the Digital Care team could take a look and get it put right? The line is provisioned as 100/15, so I'd be most grateful if the profile could be put back up to where it should be. There's no problem with the upstream - the restriction is purely the PN profile by the looks of it.
If it's the automated line tests which caused the profile reset, would it also be worth looking at that so that it doesn't happen? Obviously, FTTP is still a trial so the systems designed for ADSL and FTTC perhaps mess up the profile on FTTP? Certainly, the guy I spoke to on the phone was honest enough to say that he had no clue how to fix a profile on FTTP, but would ask his colleague to look at it. Nothing doing so far, though...
3 REPLIES 3
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP Profile Stuck After Fault Report

Hi SuperZoom,
I've just run through some checks on your line to see if i can find the cause of this issue as your speed profile seems to have been set to 5.5mbps post fault.
Everything seems to check out fine and your provisioned product has remained the same so I've arranged for the profile to be nudged back up. If you keep an eye on the service you should see this increase back to comparable levels as before within the hour.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Thanks for looking at this, Adam. Sorry for the delay in replying.
I also had a message from tech support, and when I got back normal service seemed to have been restored  Smiley
The PN Profile is now showing as 300Mb, but sadly we don't seem to have been re-provisioned at a faster speed in reality - that would certainly have been an unexpected bonus!
Do seem to be on a different BRAS now though - result of a rebuild, presumably, - so will be interesting to see if it's any better generally. So far so good throughput-wise: the attached, from this morning, is the 'cleanest' TBB speedtest I think I've seen on this connection.
So maybe it was worth raising a fault in a way...
Thanks again for the quick response. Much appreciated.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning SuperZoom,
Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday.
Great news that things look to be resolved now! The profile of 300 is now our default for FTTP lines as we no longer have a set 100. Unfortunately this won't get you a 300mbps connection down though  Undecided
Let us know if you need anything more.

Thanks,
Adam C