Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join trial...

FIXED
Abacus
Dabbler

How to join trial...

I have been offered the chance to have FTTP installed under the trial scheme and am deciding what to do.  The Openreach guys are currently down the road excavating a blocked duct and have just made me aware of what could happen.  I particularly do not want to have the block paving and tarmac dug up as I live on a shared drive where we all try to keep the place in pristine condition.  If the first engineer detects a problem which would involve such work, would I be able to cancel my participation in the trial and soldier on with my very slow copper broadband service? 

31 REPLIES 31
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: How to join trial...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Abacus

What does the DSL Checker say for your phone line. It should have "WBC FTTP" in the left hand column and a separate column should state "1 stage" or "2 stage"

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If FTTP is available the first paragraph of narrative should speak about FTTP - in particular it'll have some thing like "single dwelling, residential property". It's the bit after this that could be of use (about your UG or OH feed).

Brian

Abacus
Dabbler

Thanks for that Brian but I am still unsure. My line has already been confirmed as suitable for conversion to fibre but that is not the point. My question is not technical, rather a straight matter of contractual obligation - if I agree to take part in the trial and it is subsequently found necessary to dig up the drive/garden/ street, can I decline to continue with the installation and just keep my copper service?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Abacus

What I was trying to establish is what it says about your current phone line. When FTTP became available for me the DSL Checker results had "UG feed, proven clear"

Now, because the underground chamber for my house is in my next door neighbour's garden (about 3m from my door) I chatted to the network install team each time they came to work on the chamber. One of the things they did was to check the cable ducts to the houses where they could get easy access to the end of the duct (5 out of 7 lines for the chamber). If the duct was clear (as they all were) a draw rope was left in place four the house install engineer - so my duct was "proven clear"

The narrative might just give you a clue as to how things stand. A recent example from another thread had a "congested duct" which turned out to be small pebbles which had gathered at a bend in the duct. The OR engineer was eventually able to "force" through them to install the fibre cable.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @Abacus

As being on the FTTP trial doesn't start a new contract I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to cancel the order if you decide that the work involved isn't what you'd like happening. You'll then just stay on your current package.

If you're wanting to go ahead I'd recommend signing up at trials.plus.net letting us know over here and we'll pick the ticket up getting the ball rolling.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Abacus You haven't answered the question BMC raised in message#3 above. Does the checker link show WBC FTTP available for your phone number, if it does you can apply for the trial, if not you can't do anything until it is showing as available. If there is a blocked duct I suspect it is not available yet. I am intrigued by your statements that you were  "offered the chance to have FTTP installed under the trial scheme" and "My line has already been confirmed as suitable for conversion to fibre"  Who made these statements? It can't be BT Openreach, they don't deal with the public directly and I doubt if it was PlusNet so I am puzzled. If I had the chance to get FTTP I'd dig up everything required to get it without any hesitation but obviously you have different priorities. I am slightly annoyed that FTTP is available a few hundred yards away on the edge of my village but I have FTTC, luckily it runs at full 80/20Mbps so I can't complain.Smiley

Abacus
Dabbler

Hi there RealAleMadrid, I have been complaining to Plusnet on several occasions about my lamentably slow download speed, 2.8 or thereabouts and on one check about 10 days ago it was a mere 0.4Mbps. As a result, the FTTP trial was offered and it was Plusnet who confirmed the suitability of my line for this purpose.

Abacus

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

So I will ask again, does the BT checker say FTTP is available?

Abacus
Dabbler

Time will tell what, if any, problems occur.  I have made formal application this morning to join the trial. The Openreach lads I spoke to nearby say the standard of ducting round here is quite good compared with some they encounter.

Abacus

Abacus
Dabbler

No, just the Plusnet Customer Support.

Abacus
Dabbler

Thanks for the welcome Gandalf.  I have indicated my wish to join the trial this morning, not via trials.plus.net, but by adding my answers to the questions on ticket 171805089. Hope this is OK and you can pick my case up from there.

Abacus

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back in touch Abacus.

I've checked our suppliers notes and I can see they've mentioned "UG Feed with no anticipated issues" so hopefully they won't need to do any digging in order to provide the FTTP service.

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

So I will ask again, does the BT checker say FTTP is available?

@Abacus wrote:

No, just the Plusnet Customer Support.

We proactively contacted @Abacus to invite them to the trial.

I've placed your FTTP order now and we should be able to provide an update next week. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Abacus
Dabbler

The provisional booking for the engineer's visit on 19th April is fine thank you.

Abacus

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for letting us know Abacus.

We'll provide an update/confirmation next week. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet