cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join the trial?

garywood84
Rising Star

How to join the trial?

I have today requested a MAC to move to a new provider, because Fibre is now available through my exchange, and I want to sign up, but need more than 2Mb upload.  Customer Options said that faster than 2Mb wasn't available and so they are arranging the MAC which will be available within 5 days. 
This thread has just caught my attention, and I'm wondering if I could get a faster speed by signing up for the 80/20 trial.  Please can someone advise me if this would be possible, and if so, how I register?
Thanks very much,
Gary
5 REPLIES 5
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: How to join the trial?

The first stage of the trial was limited to a few exchanges, and individual applications had to be vetted by BT. That part is now closed to new entrants.
The second stage was expected to start in February, and be open to all exchanges. However, there may be charges associated with it, but PN don't have details as yet.
The original discussions of most of this didn't take place in the thread named "80/20 trial". Try looking in the BT adds 114 new exchanges to FTTC and up to 80Mbps next year thread instead, in the last couple of pages.
Note also that Plusnet have announced further FTTP packages (the FTTP part is still within a trial), which *do* mention the ability to increase the upstream from 2Mbps to 10Mbps for £2 per month. There is a comment (and answer) that this will be available for FTTC too, but that they need to get processes sorted out. Edit: The last comments on that article make it look like it is indeed almost available!
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: WWWombat
The last comments on that article make it look like it is indeed almost available!

Thanks, WWWombat - the key word here is 'almost'!  I first raised this as a query with PlusNet last summer, when BT first started working to install fibre in my area (for an original RFS date of 30 September 2011), and was told at that time that it wouldn't be long.  There's a blog post from Dave Tomlinson, and subsequent discussion that says it will be avaialbe from 1 February, although admitedly, it's not clear whether this is just on FTTP with FTTC to follow, or whether both would be available simultaneously.  I've spoken to support and they said they had no idea about it, and that their colleagues shouldn't have posted about it online!!
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: garywood84
it's not clear whether this is just on FTTP with FTTC to follow, or whether both would be available simultaneously.

The article itself isn't clear, but thequestion was raised in the comments, and answered as positive.
But my take on Bob's "invitations" to two people yesterday was that he wanted some people to go through the ordering process before it became a fully-public process.
The normal support guys aren't always aware of the little (or big) trials going on around the place; this is the place to find out. But for PN staff involvement, you usually have to wait until office hours.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks WWWombat.  I thought that was the case re PN staff responding, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bob or Joanne will be able to help me out with this next week, so I don't have to leave PlusNet.  The service I've received over the last 6 years has been fantastic, and it would be a shame to leave, but PlusNet really does need to get its act together on decent upload speeds for fibre.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Gary, I note that you don't actually have fibre at the moment? The likelihood is that we'll see an 80/20 commercial offering this year. I'm also putting the final bits and pieces in place to hopefully be able to offer the ability to uncap the upload on existing FTTC circuits for a monthly surcharge. I'll reply to your post over in this thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵