cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out the Exchange Cabinet number for my area ???

AndyH
Grafter

Re: How to find out the Exchange Cabinet number for my area ???

Quote from: HPsauce
Thanks for that, but how sure are you? It's not where I'm expecting it at all!  Shocked

Fairly sure - but it's a little confusing to be honest because where one cabinet is suppose to be, it looks like a VM cabinet.
I checked your Cab and it's due to be completed this year for FTTC. It's being done under BT's commercial deployment (Phase 10a) and is showing RFS by 31 Dec 15 (will be Huawei also fyi). Demand in the area seems to be quite high as two cabs (PCP2/PCP7) are awaiting extra capacity and it would appear that this might involve new cabinets.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: gpsmout
Exchange CROSS HILLS served by Cabinet 14

I can't give you the Streetview as it it looks like this cab is on the a public pathway rather than road.
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: AndyH
Fairly sure - but it's a little confusing to be honest because where one cabinet is suppose to be, it looks like a VM cabinet.
I checked your Cab and it's due to be completed this year for FTTC.
Yes, 31st Dec 2015 shows on the checker (was 31/12/14 once  Angry )
These are the estimated speeds, does that say anything useful about distance? That cabinet is maybe 300 metres max from my house, opposite direction to the exchange.
FTTC Range A (Clean)       68.6 50.3 20   14.1 -- 31-Dec-15
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 59.7  33   19.9   8.9 -- 31-Dec-15
Graphs I've seen suggest that means about 400 metres to the cabinet, which is consistent with where I had "assumed" it was in the other direction towards the exchange.  Undecided
Though, given the road layout here there are actually two (three including a private road and public footpath which is the shortest) public road routes to the exchange with maybe only 250 metres difference between them. The way I assumed is under 1400 metres.
Funny thing is, my friends house opposite that cabinet (as noted above) is on a FTTC-enabled cabinet maybe 150 metres from my house!  Crazy Our lines actually cross in opposite directions.  Shocked
I guess it's all down to when and how they expanded the old exchange by adding cabinets, though his house was originally built 40 years or more before mine, and his original internal wiring (which I helped remove) was pretty antique.  Lips_are_sealed
AndyH
Grafter

It all depends on where your DP is really. The speed estimates are based on a known distance to the DP and then an estimate to your property for the 'final drop'.
300m would put you close to full sync and 400m closer to the estimates above. The actual cable routing might be longer than you expect and the planned position of the cabinet might also not be where you expect. It kind of depends on where they get permission and where they can get power for the DSLAM.
Can you check what's painted on that cab? According to the FTTC report I am looking at, this is the remaining PCP to be upgraded to FTTC on SMCG.
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro

Can you check what's painted on that cab?
Already asked my mate who lives opposite to have a look.  Wink
According to the FTTC report I am looking at, this is the remaining PCP to be upgraded to FTTC on SMCG.
That must be us then, left to last, no idea why.
That crossroads already has an FTTC cabinet on another corner and there's loads of space right next to the cabinet you identified so I've no idea why nothing has happened, unless there's an issue getting power.
Most of our power is overhead cable so it really shouldn't be difficult.......
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro

BA4-FO whatever that means!
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

re Cross Hills Cab 14 . It would be news to me if it was on a public path!
My impression is that it is here :
http://tinyurl.com/moq63r2
as this is where engineers go to fix things when we have line faults.   A new DSLAM cab has just appeared to the left and OR engineers have had their heads in it for the last week .
AndyH
Grafter

Hmm the postcode I have for it (BD22 0BW) puts it on a pathway/street that's not on Streetview.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is a misunderstanding
The post code on Google Maps is at the approximate centre of the post code area.
The fact that the centre isn't on a public path is irrelevant and doesn't give the exact location of the cab
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro

BA4-FO whatever that means!
Andy, do you have a postcode (or other location info you can share) for cabinet 1 on SMCG?
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro

Hmm the postcode I have for it (BD22 0BW) puts it on a pathway/street that's not on Streetview.
That does indeed appear to be a small track parallel to the main road with no Streetview images but several houses.
Could be the records are wrong........
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

re BD22 0BW :
this shows up on Google maps in a location  where there is certainly not a green cab. Its an unmade road &  I'm pretty sure its called Scar View. It has a huge pole with dozens of lines from it but no cab.  The nearest one is the one I referred to in my last post, which is here,

http://tinyurl.com/moq63r2
So I am fairly sure this is Cab 14 ( might just go and ask an engineer next time I see one, they are there almost every day of the week !)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Most of the BT PCPs have their number stencilled on the top left of the door.
AndyH
Grafter

Andy, do you have a postcode (or other location info you can share) for cabinet 1 on SMCG?

I've asked someone for the exact location. The FTTC spreadsheet I have shows the cab postcode/manufacturer/head end/estimated RFS - but it's not the one I linked to above I've been told (that's a VM cab).
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro

but it's not the one I linked to above I've been told (that's a VM cab).
So can you share the postcode please as with the OP's request, I can then go hunting?  Wink