cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long a wait?

Brian_M
Hooked

How long a wait?

So after many years of putting up with poor quality satellite & the slowest adsl in the land, our village now has lots of fibre hanging up all around. We put up with our line being severed twice by the contractor digging to put in the duct as the last mile the phone lines sit in the soil! Now after waiting since February ( when they turned up to run the fibre first time) it is all in & tested. Two weeks ago the engineers confirmed it was all working & said it should now be available. Indeed bt are taking orders for ultrafast in my area. However only fftp od appears in the dsl checker.
My question is, how much longer are we to wait & will +net offer me a trial in my area?
Thanks everyone.
Brian

30 REPLIES 30
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: How long a wait?

@Brian_M

How long do you have to wait on OpenReach - easier to ask how long a piece of string is!!!

What does the following site say for your address

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

In my area it was about a week after testing that it became available so I would run the DSL Checker daily.

Brian

Brian_M
Hooked

Brian, as I said https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

reports 'accepting orders'.

However

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

only reports 'fod'

But download the pdf of enabled exchanges & I see this

STBINAB BINDON ABBEY FTTC/P & FOD Now Purbeck District

So why is +net refusing to have a conversation with me after rejecting my trial?

I assume it has to report fttp at dsl checker. but the last update there is 18th of last month.

bmc
Hero

@Brian_M

PlusNet operate using the phone number check on the DSL Checker website - if it says no then PlusNet cannot place an order. 

There are also few FTTP trained advisors. Generally speaking phone and live chat staff know little if anything about FTTP. The "trial" is not integrated with PlusNet back office systems.

What you need is for one of the trained staff to pick up on this thread - they do eventually.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Brian_M

I've just re-read your original post. If by "Indeed bt are taking orders for ultrafast in my area" you meant OpenReach where showing your address as accepting orders this is entirely different from BT Retail - they might (probably would) refuse your order if the DSL Checker says no.

Two possibilities spring to mind. One is simply OpenReach haven't up-dated their records yet so it would just be a waiting game.

The other could be considered a fate worse than death - an OR records mis-match. Previous threads on this subject tend to be long as it's apparently not an easy matter to gets records "corrected"

Instead of using your phone number on the DSL Checker use the Address version instead. Enter only your post code and you'll get a drop down list of addresses. Check your address and several of your neighbours (to see if you're the odd one out!!!).

Brian

PhantomR
Grafter

Hiya Brian !!

Just a Little point to note !!! If it states FTTP OD Is Available Then This is NOT the same as FTTP (WBC) unless your connected exchange or Cabinet states "WBC FTTP" This is why PlusNet won't entertain your Request For The Trial...They've done it to me as well so your not alone..they upgraded me to FTTC From ADSL and told me I was eligible when I stated to them OD Was Available and To send the ticket in instead...alas no chance to get it for me either !!!  And I have major Issues so it would have been good to run on new cabling but sadly no.

What your more likely to get is FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet)  which is the Fibre Home Broadband at the Point Your Connected To Your Closet Roadside Cabinet (RSR) Cabinet

God I sound like an expert but this was all learned from screaming at PlusNet and other departments lol but as BMC stated the standard call centre staff are not trained In The trials and it's a special team to deal with I believe if your lucky to get connected to the trial.

Hope This Helps !!

PhantomR

Brian_M
Hooked

Hi Phantom,

Our closest cabinet is three miles away, they have not installed a cabinet in our village. Poss because too few properties. So it will be fttp. I guess I just have to wait a little longer. We should have been live back in March, all the fibre was hung through the village in Feb but when they turned up to run a mile of it underground they found out there was no conduit. So 5 mths delay now. My kids are screaming at one another to stop watching youtube, on the weekends there is no point in even trying to web surf. Web pages take more than five seconds to load at the best of times, & i'm paying for this!! I would be happy with a good standard fibre service, on the satellite we used to get 10 meg that was until it became over subscribed,  33 meg is a dream that just isn't coming to fruition fast enough

Brian

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

I've checked both your telephone number and your address on our suppliers records and both aren't showing anything for FTTP yet.

I'm afraid it's most likely going to be a waiting game

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
The_Dreamer
Grafter

So after many years of putting up with poor quality satellite & the slowest adsl in the land, our village now has lots of fibre hanging up all around. We put up with our line being severed twice by the contractor digging to put in the duct as the last mile the phone lines sit in the soil! Now after waiting since February ( when they turned up to run the fibre first time) it is all in & tested. Two weeks ago the engineers confirmed it was all working & said it should now be available. Indeed bt are taking orders for ultrafast in my area. However only fftp od appears in the dsl checker.
My question is, how much longer are we to wait & will +net offer me a trial in my area?
Thanks everyone.
Brian

FWIW,

our cable was laid and 'tested' as working last year (October), or so we were told by the engineers that did that work.

However, further fibre cable was then laid from the end of the track to telegraph poles within our hamlet (just 10 houses) - this happened in April. (Those funny 'bullet' shaped housings appeared on the poles).

Only two weeks ago, was the first fibre actually pulled through to a neighbour (this bit occurs when you actually place the order) from the nearest CBT block.

At no point have we 'officially' been told we can place orders for FTTP - despite plenty of 'engineers', each completing their little bit of the jigsaw saying, 'Yep, you should be able to get it now!'

Even now. When clicking on any ISP site, we are only offered ADSL or FTTC packages, as the databases are still out of date - I have no idea how often they get refreshed. Luckily the master database at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ shows we can indeed now get FTTP, and this is what the ISPs use as their master list - though it does mean, in my case, that I can't do it on-line, I actually need to talk to an agent to go through the process.

BT Wholesale.jpg

The only reason I'm even aware that we can now get FTTP was because my neighbour had successfully ordered it, and the engineer came round to our house to lay the cable, after a mix up with the addresses! He also showed me in person, the physical CBT block that our fibre will be connected to, and gave me a whole raft of other info that I could have used if I came across a 'computer says no' agent (I didn't need to use it).

So, probably not what you want to hear - but it has taken 8 months from the first fibre to the hamlet being laid, to actually being able to put an order in - the village has had FTTC (shown as VDSL above, for two years)!

Your best bet is to keep checking the dslchecker web-site linked to above every week - once a line appears showing WBC FTTP, then you can get FTTP.

HTH

Phil

edit: Oh, and BT were advertising 'Fibre now here' in the village, and it was showing as available on the exchange checker we used to use,  at least 3 or 4 months before people could actually put an order in! This was FTTC, which we had spent a long time campaigning for - only to find we, some of the main campaigners, were outside of the area for decent FTTC (it was actually slower than our pretty pathetic ADSL connection)! Roll_eyes

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@The_Dreamer wrote:

Even now. When clicking on any ISP site, we are only offered ADSL or FTTC packages, as the databases are still out of date - I have no idea how often they get refreshed.

@The_Dreamer

That's because most ISP's (even some of the major ones such as TalkTalk and Sky) don't offer FTTP, mainly because of the low overall coverage throughout the UK.

The_Dreamer
Grafter

That's because most ISP's (even some of the major ones such as TalkTalk and Sky) don't offer FTTP, mainly because of the low overall coverage throughout the UK.

Doh! I knew that - and yet didn't join the dots! Crazy2 Embarrassed

PhantomR
Grafter

Hiya Brian_M

I've Not Actually Heard of Fibre Being Run From The Poles to be fair and I've been around almost from the first time it got activated running at a lowly 2mbps as I used to get told off for tying up the phone line with my dialup call's to 0845 and later 0800 access numbers to run the internet 🙂 so ADSL/VDSL was a godsend when that came out and then onwards to Fibre

That Saying It May Be Possible but I've been always told Fibre Needs To Run Underground through the existing Ducts and Node Pathways from the RSC (RoadSide Cabinets) and I've had the pleasure of seeing a few nodes being put in recently and a few years back when having engineers out !!

Now another point is...Plusnet Told Me To Be Eligible For The Trial I Have To Be on FTTC in the First Place so if you can get this From Your Cabinet you said 3 Miles Away That Your Connected To for Phone services then I would definitely make that move straight away so when the FFTP EVENTUALLY Switches to WBC FTTP then your primed and ready to join the trial !!! But either way you need to be on some kind of Fibre Package First !!

My nearest Cabinet that I'm connected to is about a mile and a half away and by the time it gets to me up the hill I have lost 40mbps out of a possible 80mbps however directly across the road from my back gate 150 yards away is the cabinet for the estate on the opposite side with an 80mbps circuit which would help me tremendously if I could switch to it but alas I'm not routed to it and BTO refuse to connect me to it even though I suspect most of my issues would resolved...I Can't Wait To Leave a Company That Lies So Much To There Customers Though !! As this really Infuriates me when I see the TV adverts "We'll Do You Proud".

Kind Regards

PhantomR

PhantomR
Grafter

Now There's A Surprise !!!

PhantomR
Grafter

That Exchange That Your On Is Impressive @The_Dreamer...up to 1000mb WBC FTTP and I thought my two RSR Cabinets were good see below from my Cabinet Cry

download2a80dbb5_ed_2f0_2fPictures_2fScreenshots_2fScreenshot_20180703-155325.jpg

The_Dreamer
Grafter

That Exchange That Your On Is Impressive @The_Dreamer...up to 1000mb WBC FTTP and I thought my two RSR Cabinets were good see below from my Cabinet Cry

I'm not sure why it's so good - but happy that it is - hopefully I should comfortably get the full 76Mbps once connected.

It has made me wonder whether there'd be any interest in a community program to access the full Gbps as has been done in other parts of the country?