cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! BT Engineer unable to successfully complete FTTP on 11th Feb - what now?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Help! BT Engineer unable to successfully complete FTTP on 11th Feb - what now?

I think it depends on the age of the house and the existing phone layout, I have a GPO persone hole just next to my drive, but the cable feeds it then up a pole and overhead from there, it possible they could get Fibere to the hole out the front, which is about 400 yd from the FTTC
My mothers house, when she lived their, about 15 years old and all cable to the property are underground, most newer builds are all underground
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Help! BT Engineer unable to successfully complete FTTP on 11th Feb - what now?

Andy, looks like the cause of the problem is a broken splitter between you and the cabinet, BT are arranging to replace it (it costs them to do it hence why it had been flagged as excessive construction). I've added a bit more to your ticket.
Quote from: fourfourdevon
I am well aware of the ducting, but what confuses me, is for years I've read how digging up all the roads and laying fibre to everyone's homes is way too expensive, and you know what, I could buy that.
But what I can't buy, is that actually, that's simply not true, and all that's required for a large part is for a cable to be pulled.
Well if that's all it is (cable pulling) then the costs of fibre to all drop dramatically and give a lie to first argument.
Also, if a cabinet is FTTC enabled, what possible physical property prevents the cabinet from offering FTTP services?

Depends on the area. In theory other than space in the cab there's no reason one cab couldn't have both FTTC and FTTP. At the moment it's one or the other as the cabs would probably be too big and too costly to have both. The digging again also depends on the area. For FTTC they need to install a new cab and run fibre and power to it and connect it to the existing cab. In some cases they can run the fibre down the existing ducting in some cases they won't. Same with FTTP and with FTTP they also need to install Fibre splitter nodes and distribution points which either need to be underground or the top of poles so again may need digging to be done.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
brassedoff
Dabbler

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Quote from: brassedoff
Thus, to get fibre from your cabinet to your home either involves digging up the street or running fibre up and down telegraph poles depending on how you connect back to the cabinet.
That doesn't gel with the OP, which says this is FTTP and that the cable was pulled.

Apologies... re the OP reference, I thought you were asking more general questions not specifically related to the OP which is why I was talking about FTTC.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I am being general, just using the OP as a starting point.  I think I've got the picture in my head now though.  Smiley
andypearson
Grafter

{as also added to my open ticket... } Thanks again for the update Dave. Following your reply, BT have contacted me to say that they have already fixed (I believe) the faulty splitter etween my home and the cabinet, and we have now arranged for a(nother) BT engineer to visit next Tuesday 22nd to (hopefully) complete, test and confirm all is working. Fingers crossed!
Andy
Floyd
Grafter

Good luck chap Smiley
andypearson
Grafter

Thanks Floyd - sounds hopeful now that they seem to have been able to identify the problem (broken splitter between my home and the cabinet) AND that they appear to have fixed it (thanks again to chasing from Dave). All being well, next Tuesday I'll be up and running - I'll post a record of my before and after speeds that day, all being well. I gather speeds tend not to be that remarkable at first, until some "tuning" is performed at the PlusNet end (and that I need to allow for throttling of certain sites (eg YouTube) at certain times of the day) so we'll see what happens.

btw, I don't know a Mike Pearson either in my family or elsewhere  Tongue
Andy